Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New hunter - am I normal? >

New hunter - am I normal?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New hunter - am I normal?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New hunter - am I normal?

Definitely normal. I'm in the same boat with you. This is my first year really hunting. I did a little bow hunting when I was 12 and only went rifle once or twice. Never took anything, though. I'm 27 now and decided to start back up this year -- bought a bow, stand, camo, the whole nine...

Anyway, yeah...work definitely took a back seat to searching this forum, practicing, etc. Now that I got the first hunt out of the way, it's a tad better, but not much. I still need to get the first deer under my belt (hopefully a buck for my team) so I'm still pretty juiced. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM

thanks Texas, that is good stuff. You really can't read and learn enough about it, no matter what it is and how long you've been doing it, but especially hunting.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah you are defenitely not alone in the "cant wait" feeling. I have it everyday during the season waiting on every weekend.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eman1200

thanks Texas, that is good stuff. You really can't read and learn enough about it, no matter what it is and how long you've been doing it, but especially hunting.
Totally agree...nothing can prepare you for the real thing... only by being there.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM

abnormally I think it's normal.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

1.) You have not provided me with enough information to know whether or not you are in fact "normal."
a.) Is normal a good thing or bad thing for you?
b.) If normal is good, then I think you have found enough affirmation from this forum to continue your obsession without any further questioning of your sanity.
c.) If normal is bad, then I must assume that you are massochistic and thereby find all this humiliation (inherit in the terrible notion that you are "bad" by being normal) quite pleasing to you.

2.) I will say that the symptons you have describes seem like quite normal behavior for someone with a bowhunting dissorder. I find that turkey hunting is the most addictive and acute of our ailments.Obsession is a sympton of being a bowhunter. You most likely are infected and will probably have a greater struggle with balancing your career, family, and relationship with God than most of the "normal" people out there who seem only to care about a postmodern world.

oh well...forget all that. Welcome aboard!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting for 29 years. To this day I can't sleep the night before a hunt. I have to pop a couple OTC allergy antihistimines sometimes just so I get drowsy enough to nod off for a few hours during the night. I've been suffering with the affliction for, well, not long enough yet.
You are not normal at all...you are gifted.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome eman1200. I live in the UK and we cannot hunt with bow over here , but i am coming over to the states next year and going bowhunting with Germ ... It honestly feels like i'm going tomorrow , i cannot wait . I sit onmy pctill 2-3am some nights , just so i can talk to you guys fortunate enough to go bowhunting... plusyour not a bad bunch of guys and every target to me is lungs and heart .
All i can do is practice and practice , so when i do come overand hopefully make that shot count and thats what keeps me sane . Heck your definately normal , its everybody else that ain't .
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Hi eman! I think obsessing over hunting is much more common to those of us who didn't grow up hunting and surrounded by hunters. (At least that's been my experience!) I have wanted to hunt my whole life but never had the opportunity until I was in my thirties.

Savor every moment!

-- FLIX
Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 PM

man i need some sleep i havent sleeped in a week waiting for saturday.

Quick Reply: New hunter - am I normal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.