Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethics question - Tagging deer >

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question - Tagging deer

Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethics question - Tagging deer

ORIGINAL: davidmil

And for those that say if you kill it it should be tagged. Are you willingto waste a tag ona deer you may run into with your car????
If you kill a deer with your car you do not have to tag it. You can call any law enforcement officer and they will tag it as a car kill. As a matter of fact (I asked a DNR officer this question) if you hit a deer and it does not die but is laying there with 2 broken legs it is against the law for you to kill it. You are supposed to call any LEO to come and kill it. Then he will tag it. He can give you the meat of these road kills but you do not have to tag them.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM

GMMAT

Do you pay taxes on money that you didn't make?

Hmmm....
Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Bartender

BLOODY MARY TIME
ORIGINAL: Germ

This Ethics stuff is going to drive me to drink

Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 121553

I've feel bad about the 5 road kill deer I've gotten but I'm not going to be hunting for the next 5 yrs for nothing in voiding my tag. I've even utilized some of these deer.
Road kill tags here do not count as hunting tags. You just get a reciept from the law saying you have the right to it.

2 different things here.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

BLOODY MARY TIME
ORIGINAL: Germ

This Ethics stuff is going to drive me to drink

May I suggest some Ezra Brooks.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

In MO, it's law that you are supposed to tag any animal you hit, whether you recover them or not....
I don't want to be nitpicky but since there were several that responded to this post, i just wanted everyone to have the correct information.In Missouri the deer tags we are are for transportion. Yes you must have one prior to hunting, becasue the deer is required to be tagged immediatly upon retrieval. But these tags are for the transportion on ther deer. with that said... here is what the MDC wildlife code book says about recovering and tagging deer. Any one can view this on the MDC website.

GMMAT per the Missouri Law you more than did what you are required to do. You made more than an honost effert to recover the deer. A 5 hour grid serch is more than what most would to recover a deer. You were unable to find it. That happens. I personally think you have ethically done what you needed to do.

(8) Hunters who kill or injure a deer must
make a reasonable effort to retrieve and tag
it, but this does not authorize trespass.

(9) Hunters who take a deer must tag it
immediately with the transportation tag portion
of the permit; detaching the transportation
tag voids the permit. Deer may be possessed
and transported only by the taker until
reported through the Telecheck Harvest
Reporting System. All deer taken must be
accurately reported through the Telecheck
Harvest Reporting System by 10:00 p.m. on
the day taken by the taker or in the taker’s
immediate presence. The Telecheck confirmation
number must be recorded immediately
on the deer hunting permit as indicated on
the permit, and immediately attached to the
deer by the taker. The transportation tag and
deer hunting permit with confirmation number
must remain attached to the intact or
field-dressed carcass until the deer is
processed. All deer must be reported through
the Telecheck Harvest Reporting System
prior to processing or being removed from
the state.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

A better (harder) question - what do you do if you find "your" deer 1-2 weeks later? Then what?

FH
Darn it! I was going to ask that exact question.AND my answer to it would be NO. Yes, I caused this deer's death but its not use to me...now. No tag.

Jeff, you are overthinking this stuff WAY too much!You act asif the DNR is a god and willcomdemnyou if you don't tally every deer death you are responsible for.They realize these exact situations mayoccur and I'm sure they have some way of accounting for it (estimate).

Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

So you find your deer 2 weeks later, Duc....and KNOW it's the same deer you killed, earlier.....and you keep hunting with that tag?

No wrong answer to that question, I guess.

Me......I get two bucks/season in my zone (Eastern zones get 4). If I were to arrow an 8-pointer (for the sake of the scenario depicted).....and find him 2 weeks later......I now (in my eyes) have 1 buck tag left.....and I report the 1st kill. I killed it. I need to tag it.

I'm not passing judgement on you.....just saying what I would do.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM

So you find your deer 2 weeks later, Duc....and KNOW it's the same deer you killed, earlier.....and you keep hunting with that tag?
Yes I would. The Reg. book states that the animal must be tagged upon vehicle transport of the carcass or at conclusion of hunting hours.

Honestly, I didn't need a reg. book to answer that question. I already knew what I would do no matter what the book said. Call me unethical but it just doesn't make sense to me to tag something you can't use or enjoy!

Me......I get two bucks/season in my zone (Eastern zones get 4). If I were to arrow an 8-pointer (for the sake of the scenario depicted).....and find him 2 weeks later......I now (in my eyes) have 1 buck tag left.....and I report the 1st kill. I killed it. I need to tag it.
As would I, if I wanted the antlers (AND I would). The book says I have to tag it before I transport the carcass anyway. Say its a real NICE 8 pointer andI wanted to get it mounted...gotta tag it anyway before showing up to the taxi.

Perhaps I don't give a darn about antlers and I found that 8 pointer a couple weeks later like you say. Then I wouldn't tag it.Why not Duc...its a buck ? No, just a doe with antlers. I would treat them both equally in the above situation.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

To answer your question,

Nope. I would only tag something I kep, either meat or horns

if it were a buck I found 2 weeks later.. I'd tag it in order to legally keep the horns...

Quick Reply: Ethics question - Tagging deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.