Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 <<CONTEST>>WIN  SCENT BLOCKER ITEMS Or HELL RAZOR Broadheads >

<<CONTEST>>WIN SCENT BLOCKER ITEMS Or HELL RAZOR Broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

<<CONTEST>>WIN SCENT BLOCKER ITEMS Or HELL RAZOR Broadheads

Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Host of Hosts

Default <<CONTEST>>WIN SCENT BLOCKER ITEMS Or HELL RAZOR Broadheads

You can win these Scent Blocker items. Or These Hellrazor Broadheads (pic page 3)

New Black Scent Blocker Hat and Large Scent Blocker "forget the wind, just hunt" T-shirt ( Large)

NOTE: THESE ARE ALL NEW AND UNUSED ITEMS

In 150 words minimum tell us who was the most influential person in your life as far as hunting goes.

Who was it that got you started and what did you learn from them?

If you could tell them 1 thing today what would it be?

Simple rules:
1 entry per person

150 words minimum can be more, but not less

please try to check your spelling. It won't disqualify you but please make an effort to check

pictures welcome but not necessary

I will judge entries and pick final 5 Rob/PaBowyer will pick winner from those 5

The contest will start immediately and close on 10/16/2007 at 9:00 eastern time

Judging will take no more than a few days and the winner will be notified first via email then on the bottom of the thread.

All shipping cost will be paid by me and prizes furnished by me. I'm sorry but I must limit this to United States addresses only.

Post entries on this thread

OK LETS HEAR YOUR STORY GOOD LUCK!

PLEASE DON'T POST HERE JUST TO BASH SCENT BLOCKER OR SCENT LOCK
PLEASE DON'T POST RESPONSES TO THE ENTRIES HERE.....ENTRIES ONLY PLEASE

Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM

Default RE: Win these Scent Blocker items

We post our story here or email it to ya?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Host of Hosts

Post it here! Sorry that would have been a good thing to add to the rules huh?[&:]
Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, but I'm not going to count words. If asked who was the most influential person in my life as far as hunting goes, the answer would be my maternal grandfather. Grandpa John was born in 1890 the son of a poor Dutch immigrant. With seven siblings and tough times, Great-grandpa Peter could not afford to buy or raise meat. Grandpa John told me he knew how to fish before he could walk. By the time he was eight or nine, Grandpa had trap lines and snares set everywhere he could find. He told me that every night there was fish or meat on the table, his parents would thank the Lord for the meat on the table. Grandpa did not get his first gun (a .410 shotgun) until he was hired as the constable of the community he lived in. When I was 3 or 4 (depends on whose story you believe, Mom's or Grandpa's) Grandpa taught me to fish. When I was eight, he taught me to shoot the .410. He taught me several rules to hunting and fishing too. They are: 1. Never kill for the sport; 2. Only shoot: a) what you intend to eat; or b) an animal that intends to do you bodily harm. 3. Never take credit for the food that the Lord puts on the table; 4. Never step onto another man's land without his permission; 5. Never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to kill; and 6. Always leave the area better than you found it. When I was nine years old, Grandpa gave me that Winchester .410 guage shotgun. He told me that there was a lot of responsibility to owning a weapon. He told me that if I took care of it, it would help put food on the table, but if I didn't take care of it, it could keep me from putting food on the table or even kill me. That was what seemed to be a heavy burden to carry at that age, but I accepted it. Grandpa John took me fishing and hunting up to the week before the Lord took him to sit at his table. Years after his passing, Mr Fleener, a farmer who owned a pond where we used to go fishing told me that yearsbefore I was born, Grandpa John used to eat apples every time he went fishing. When he got to the core, he would dig a hole next to him and plant the core into the hole. The farmer asked me to come by the pond and see what Grandpa had done. When I got there, one whole side of the pond had an apple orchard that Grandpa started! Mr Fleener informed me that there were many other ponds in the Poweshiek and Mahaska counties of Iowa that had orchards just like his. Everytime I go hunting or fishing, I plant a seed, or pick up trash left by someone else, or do something else positive for the land. I praise the Lord for every deer, pheasant, turkey and fish he puts on our table to give our family the strength to do his will. Notonly everything I do in the areas of hunting and fishing can be attributed to my Grandpa John, but also everything my son does as well. If I could tell Grandpa John one more thing...I'd tell him again how much I love him and how I hope I taught my son half as well as he taught me. Then I'd take him fishing just like he used to take me.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The man that brought me into the world of hunting is the very same man that brought me into this world, my father.

From the very beginning I wanted nothing else but to be just like him… I would follow him with my little Fischer Price lawn mower as he mowed our lawn, I wore flannels just like him, and I eventually picked up my first bow and arrow, just like he had done.

From what I can gather, my first bow was a long bow from Wal-Mart. With my dad there guiding my every maneuver, I was able to nock an arrow, drawback, and release, completely missing the bail of straw at 10 yards. No matter how many times I missed, my dad always would whisper into my ear, “Don’t worry, you’ll get ‘em next time”.

I later “upgraded” to a nice little compound that couldn’t have had a draw weight of more than 10 lbs., but to me it was the coolest fricken thing on earth. Especially since it had those cool “circle things” on either end like dads’ did [8D]. From there my accuracy increased as did my self-confidence.

My dad would bring me for walks in the woods, and allow me to bring my Red Rider, just in case Black Bart and his wild posse were on the war path again . From those simple walks my love of the outdoors grew and grew. Sometime around the age of eight I asked my dad to take me hunting. He had never pressured me into it, and allowed me to be the first to ask.

That fall he brought me to his “secret spot”, I was all bundled up in my winter outfit, not a hint of camo, and hidden inside my sleeping bag, just hoping to see a deer. Even though the deer didn’t cooperate, that single trip sealed my fate as a hunter, and outdoorsman.

From there I graduated to hunting camp by the age of twelve, and finally to bowhunter at the age of fourteen. My dad was there, in the same tree as me, when I harvested my first buck, a beautiful three pointer. The look on my dad’s face when we walked up together on the downed buck is something that I will forever treasure. I am lucky enough to have the greatest man in my life, not only my father, but also by hunting partner.

If I could tell my dad one thing, it would be: You've probably had the greatest impact on my life over anybody else I know. The things you have tought me directly and indirectly, I cannot thank you enough. I hope that I do you proud. Oh, and I'll pay for our semi-guided bowhunttrip to CO for Elk oneday when I'm rich .
Some pics...

Here he is with his '05 kill

Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Like most guys, the most influential person in my hunting has been my dad. He is not the best hunter, he is not even what I consider a good hunter, but the times we have shared together in the woods are more precious to me than ever bagging a monster buck.
My dad was "old school" when it came to raising his kids. He had a heavy hand and a quick temper. There weren’t a bunch of hugs and "I love yous" thrown around our house. He may not have said it in words, but when deer season came around his actions said so much more about how he felt as a father.

I will never forget being a little kid and sitting in the truck to share a hot cup of coffee after a morning hunt, or how I felt the day he surprised me with my first shotgun. Looking back on it now, I don’t believe hunts for him were actually about shooting deer, but more about sharing time with each other. He was with me the day I finally harvested my first deer and the look in his eyes showed more pride than any words he could say.
He is overseas now and I miss my hunting partner and my friend. I have just recently moved to the great state of PA and my hunting trips are a little lonelier now. When I settle into my tree stand I close me eyes and let all those great feelings and memories come flooding back.

This November we will going to camp together during rifle season. When the sun starts to peak over the treetops and the wind howls on the mountain side, I know which stand I will choose to take. It will be right next to him, because for me it won’t be about shooting a deer, but spending time with him and that is just what I am going to tell him.

Wayne
Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

mine is my dad.he bought a hundred acre farm here in western,ny to raise his family and pass down is love of hunting to myself,brother,and 2 sisters.i started going with him when i was 5 years old. he would only let me go 1 or 2 times a season when i was younger. and only when he sat on stand. once i reached about 9 or 10 he would have myself and my siblings push deer for him. one of the first times i was aloud to do this he shot a 4pt and a doe that we had pushed pass him.when i was 12 years old he had broken his ankle while playing hockey, the neighbors were setting up to push off a section of are farm and dad took a stand not far from the house,as he couldnt walk to good. he told me to go to the spot where they originally wanted him. i was so excited to actually be holding a gun with 5 slugs in it. low and behold a doe came to within 15 yards or so of me and i dropped her in her tracks,and everyone was so excited 4 me. those 2 things my dad allowed me to do instilled the love of whitetail deer in myself that isnt easily explained to a non hunter. in 1998 my dad returned the favor on a 2 man push, i was sittin and he nudged a 175 inch double browtine 13 pt to me. my dad is 71 now and i thank god every year i get to hunt with him as someday i wont be able to.

i was asked to also write 1 thing iwould like to say to my father today.after thinking about this tough question for awhile 1 thing comes to mind. and that is"thankyou" . thanks for instilling the great outdoors of hunting,fishing, and enjoying what god created in this world for everyone to enjoy. without the outdoors and all it has to offer, i would definatly be a different person. its not always about shooting a deer,or even seeing 1,its just about enjoyingthis greatplay ground we live in. thats what my dad taught me,and dad THANK YOU!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mostinfluential person in my hunting life would definitely be my dad. I know that dads play a very important role in a persons life no matter what age. Me and my dad have always beenpretty close ever since I can remember. Me and him would fish all the time when I was little and he would always take me out and do stuff with me.

I first asked my dad to take me hunting about 5 or 6 years ago, but being a girl he didnt take me serious. I continued to ask every year until he gave in and finally took me. I didnt take any deer my first year but it was a very memorable experience to be in the woods with my dad. The second year hunting with him I took my first deer and he was so proud of me. Before that experience I always felt like I let him down and seeing him smile and him telling me that he was proud was worth more than anything.

Hunting with my dad has really brought me close to him, and if it wasnt for the great outdoors I dont even know what else we would talk about. I know that I am very fortunate to have a dad that was there for me when I was young, as many people cant say the same. I am very thankful for him for being there for me and supporting me. If I could say one thing to him about the whole hunting thing, I know this probably sounds mushy gushy, I would just go give him a big hug and tell him thanks for introducing me into one of the best things in my life. I owe it all to him.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM

My dad has been my biggest help and greatest influence in my hunting career. Though I have only been hunting for 8 or 9 years, all but one trip that I can think of has began and ended with my dad and I driving the 45 minutes from his house to our small 80 acre parcel of heaven on Earth.

Since the very first time my dad brought me in the woods with him when I was 10, he has been teaching me and helping me grow as not only a hunter, but as a human overall. I’ve learned nearly everything I know about hunting from him. Everything from identifying and using deer sign to setting up stands and, of course, waiting for the perfect ethical shot and taking it when the opportunity presents itself. My dad has also taught me how to adapt with whatever life throws at you and still keep your enthusiasm towards this great sport.

My dad is also the person who handed me my very first rifle, a small remington .243 bolt action with open sights. It wasn't much, but to a 12 year old with a passion for hunting--it was everything! I bagged 3 deer with that gun, and remember each of those hunts as if it were yesterday. I have since upgraded to a Remington model 700 .270. I took my first buck with that rifle--dropped him in his tracks actually. Before I even went down to look at my trophy, I hiked over to where my dad was standing to share the moment with him. Again, that's something that I don't think he or I will ever forget.

Unfortunately, I realize my time in the woods with my dad is not going to be forever. His eye sight has been robbed from him every day since childhood thanks to a genetic disease that has affected 4 generations of my family. Amazingly, he still insists on joining me when I venture to the woods, though I do not pose any type of argument against his company. He still cares so passionately and is so enthusiastic about my success in the field, and I don’t take that for granted.

If I could tell my dad one thing right now, I would tell him thank you and to keep his positive attitude towards life and hunting. I know that one day the Lord will provide the miracle cure to give him back his eye sight. He has been such a huge part of my hunting career and hunting experiences in general that I would hate to think of the day when he would rather just sit at home than to go out into the woods that he and I both love.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 PM

The most influential person in my life would defiantly be my grandpa (papa).
He is my grandfather on my mothers side. My grandpa owns the farm I hunt on and will one day own. He has always been my idol because he is so true and one with god. When I was growing up as a kid at about age 3-7 and would gown to his farm on the weekends, the only way I would fall asleep was when I got to ride on grandpa’s 1953 ford 8N tractor. Tractors and other cars have been a major part of our friendship. He taught me many ways to trouble shoot and get around tough situations. He was also my conformation sponsor when I was confirmed. Grandpa bought my first bb gun witch I still have. Over the summer I would spend 2-3 weeks at a time with him on the farm. When ever we went town he always introduced me to people as his little farm hand and it always made me feel needed and helpful. This summer I heard the song wrote by Kenney Chesney “Grandpa Told Me So” and right then and there I tried to hold back my tears but I couldn’t help it. Grandpa told me how to fish and how to use the land to your advantage.
He always told me to try my hardest and to be the best I could be.

If i could go back and say anything to him right now it would be in response in to what he said about 2 months ago when i asked what he was going to do with this 40 coupe. he said "i will probably keep this one till i go under" right when he said that i was speechless and couldn't think of any kind of response. So if i could say one thing to him i wish he could just take that statement back because it crosses my mind when ever i hear Kenney's song or when i talk to him about one of his many 40 coupes

Quick Reply: <<CONTEST>>WIN SCENT BLOCKER ITEMS Or HELL RAZOR Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.