HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Oh dear....snakes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/211100-oh-dear-snakes.html)

ChrisAU 10-09-2007 11:17 AM

Oh dear....snakes?

So, me and some buddies went out Sunday for a last scout of our hunting land and to fine tune our bows getting ready for the big day (Our opener in AL is this coming Saturday). Lo and behold, on the edge of a field we hear a very distinct rattling sound about 2 feet from my one of my friend's foot to see a huge diamondback. We managed to kill it with nothing but sticks and a pocket knife, but I am a little freaked out now. I've never bowhunted Alabama this early in the season, with the weather so warm. This guy was friggin huge, about 6 1/2 feet long with a head that was almost 4 inches wide. He could've eaten gatorade bottles for breakfast and you wouldn't have known it by the size of his girth.

What I'm getting at is do any of you guys take an precautions against snakes when you bowhunt? My boots are only 10" and I am sure they are not snake-proof. Oh, and that is the 3rd diamondback of that size we have taken this year from the same 517 acre farm.

louddrummer69 10-09-2007 12:19 PM

RE: Oh dear....snakes?

Well I have a question...Why did you kill it? I just never understood why people kill snakes, for the sake of killing snakes. Even poisoness snakes. They are there to serve a role in the environment. I'm not a snake lover but when I see one I slowly move away and let them go on their way. If you're not going to eat it then leave it be. Just my 2 cents.

bigcountry 10-09-2007 12:26 PM

Well, to actually answer the mans question without the "don't kill snakes" commentary.

I know when I hunt down south, I use snake boots. A snake bite is a bad scene. All I can remember is my great grandmother that had all kinds of speech issues and nervous issues from a copperhead bite in the 50's.

DannyD 10-09-2007 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: louddrummer69

Well I have a question...Why did you kill it? I just never understood why people kill snakes, for the sake of killing snakes. Even poisoness snakes. They are there to serve a role in the environment. I'm not a snake lover but when I see one I slowly move away and let them go on their way. If you're not going to eat it then leave it be. Just my 2 cents.
I guess the same could be said for Coyotes and Bobcats

cynikalHC 10-09-2007 12:40 PM

Might kinda feel stupid if you let that snake go and then it ends up biting you later in the season. Kinda like that old story of an old man bringing in a snake from the cold and un freezing it and helping it back to life.... then it bites and kills him and tells him he is dumb cause he knew he was a snake in the first place. With that said - I do not take any precautions but I do take a snake bite kit with me to the lease.

keithk 10-09-2007 12:56 PM

A good snake is a dead one!

Why do you kill them?Well, if they are in the yard, I don't want it biting my kids, so I kill it.

And actually in some states it's illegal to kill snakes. In MO it is.

LKNCHOPPERS 10-09-2007 01:33 PM

Those rattle snakes are just too dangerous to let alone. Kill everyone you see especially if you are hunting the area. I use snake boots until the cold has set in. In the South it is mandatory to wear snake boots in my opinion.

bigbulls 10-09-2007 01:55 PM

Those rattle snakes are just too dangerous to let alone.
Yeah, that rattle snake was letting him know it was there to avoid a confrontation by rattling its tailand by doing so it gets killed. Doesn't seem that the rattle snake is the dangerous one here. :eek:

I have lived in and hunted all over the South and the only timeI was in danger of being bitten by a venomous snake was when I was messing with them. Snakes DO NOT go out of their way to attack you. Not even cotton mouths.All you have to do is walk around them and leave them alone.

I have literally pulled the car over on the side of a road to pick uprattle snakes and copper headsand placethem backin the woods so a car wouldn't hit it. My wife didn't like it too much but oh well. ;)

Oh, and to answer the question I do not wear any kind of protective boots when hunting. Now if i were on a logging crew or something where I was disturbing their habitat and getting them ticked off I would wear chapps. IMO most snake boots aren't tall enough to do much good. A 6 foot rattel snake coiled up ready to strike is alreadyclose toknee high and will usually strike upward.

Hooker 10-09-2007 02:29 PM

I've hunted in the South all my life and I have never worn any kind of snake boots. If I feel that the area is "snakey", I will grab a stick and hit the grass/bushes in front of me as I walk. Most snakes will leave the area when they feel you coming.

childers 10-09-2007 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: louddrummer69

yeah i dont see the point either. its only protecting itself. dont kill what doesnt need to be killed