HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Someone answer the question. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/211097-someone-answer-question.html)

LittleChief 10-09-2007 11:12 AM

Someone answer the question.

On both of the deer that I shot, when the arrow hit there wasa loud "popping" sound. What causes this sound? It was totally unexpected. On the first one, I thought I had hit a limb or a twig that I hadn't seen. The second was wide open and I still heard it. Anyone know?

Western MA Hunter 10-09-2007 11:17 AM

RE: Someone answer the question.

Where did you hit them? In the shoulder? Behing the shoulder? Could have been your arrow breaking a rib or hitting bone of some sort...

bigtim6656 10-09-2007 11:18 AM

never hured of that could be some extra ke when you hit the deer check yourshot placement could you have hit a shoulder or rib .

might be your bow something lose or to tight get a pro shop to check it out

could your arrows be to smal for your draw weight
does it do it on a target

i have never had this happen but this might help keeps posted

wrightshot 10-09-2007 11:22 AM

It would have to be the arrow hitting a rib or even just entering the body cavity. When I shot mine it made a thump sound. I was told by my friends that sound is typical.

LittleChief 10-09-2007 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

Where did you hit them? In the shoulder? Behing the shoulder? Could have been your arrow breaking a rib or hitting bone of some sort...

Onewas a double lung passthrough. A little far back, but still caught both lungs. The otherentered just below the spine and exited low on the other side. You may be right. It might have been the sound of a rib being cut.

Predator19 10-09-2007 11:23 AM

Maybe you're just hearing the beloved THWACK. :D

LittleChief 10-09-2007 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

never hured of that could be some extra ke when you hit the deer check yourshot placement could you have hit a shoulder or rib .

might be your bow something lose or to tight get a pro shop to check it out

could your arrows be to smal for your draw weight
does it do it on a target

i have never had this happen but this might help keeps posted

Well, I'm not sure how to avoid hitting a rib...:D:D
It's not my bow making the sound. It's quiet. The sound is after the shot... on impact. Also, believe me, my arrows are spined correctly.

StealthyOne 10-09-2007 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Predator19

Ah, what a glorious sound it is!

LittleChief 10-09-2007 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Predator19

Predator19,
I'm sure of it, but these were the first deer I've shot. I'm curious to find out what causes that "thwack". After I dismissed the idea that I'd hit a stick, my second thought was that it could have been the mechs opening, but I ruled that out.... I'd practiced with them and heard no simliar sound.

JoeRE 10-09-2007 11:41 AM

I think it is the air in the lungs that give a hollow thump, but if if is a crack...then I would say must be bone doing it.