Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards? >

Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

So now that most of us are into the season,does anyone ever lower your standards for you buck, if at all? I can hunt all the way until the end of January. But after the first week of December, honestly, seeing bigger bucks seems to get more difficult as they have been shot at, are worn out after the rut, have another season of knowledge, and seem to go nocturnal after all that. My goal was to take a 130" class buck. After December 7th, I will take a 120" or better buck unless Im still seeing bigger bucks consistently, but try not to go smaller than that just because Im trying to leave those guys for next year. Im still confident I have a legitimate chance at something real big like 150" + but was curious as to howsome map out your buck hunting.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

That is a question I just don't know the answer to. I'll know when I see it.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in a one buck state so Iwould not take just any deer for the contest unless it is getting late in the season. I think you have to hunt for yourself first especially in states where you can only shoot one buck with yer bow.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Goals are always flexible..just depends on the reality vs the goal... If I'm into early November with a goal of 125 and haven't caught sight of a 125..I'd better do some modification to either:

A) The plan
B)The goal

My land struggles are well documented this year and it seems every sit is a seat of the pants decision. Heck, I'm anxious to see how it all falls into place, myself!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately for my team...no. If its not a buck I want to take, I'm not gonna take it - just for the contest. Hopefully this year that buck I want will come by and I can help my team out....haven't been much help the past few years. [&:]If I could count several does as some points for my team in lieu of horns...I'd be doing ok [8D]
Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

They change with location and local land rules. But other than that, when I decide on what to do I do it. I've eaten tags, like early bow season this year, but I decided that going in. Or tags I wasted two years in a row in Ohio with nice8 point bucks and multiple bucks in bow range the last evening of the hunt. One standard I don't change no matter where I'm hunting..... Nothing with Spots> LOL
Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don’t expect to lower my standards for any reason, but I suppose I can never really say for sure until that borderline buck is standing before me. I’ve got great potential this season, I’d be a fool to not to try and maximize it.
I’ve lowered standards in past and did not like the decision afterwards.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:06 AM

If anything , it raises my standards. I passed on several good bucks last year, to only see my chances ruined by poachers later. Normally these bucks would have been taken, but I wanted a special buck for the contest, and especially since my Dad passed away 5 days before teh season started, I was hoping to win the contest in honour of him. I held out to only get shafted by some sorry, trespassing, night hunting ,boneheads that made my goal unreachable. Thyey are still having aneffect on my local land, so I have been going to Kentucky to hunt where there are definitely bigger deer. I am debating with myself as to just how much I am allowingmy persoanl goals to be affected by the contest, and if it is changing the way Ihunt --for teh right reason, and righ now I am notsure. I like competition, but I also don't like turning unting into more than what is attainable or reaistic. I like challenges, and although I am still frustrated over the poachers, it provides me with more of a challenge to score even with this 'handicap'. I have hunted my local spot this season, with sighting only 2 deer the whole season as opposed to close to 100 by this same time last year,so their effect is definitely real. But, I don't and won't give up.I hope that I can do good in Kentucky--away from my poaching problems--, but if not, I may have to settle for what I can realisticallyget here locally. So far, a yearling 6 and a doe are all I have to show--sightings that is, not kills---for my efforts here in Georgia. I only recently saw them after doing some drastic tactical changes with the poaching influence in mind, adjusting to it. It worked the first time, since that is when saw the 2 deer. So, the contest has made me a better hunter, and yet, it really hasn't changed my outlook. I still think that anyone should be able to choose to take whatever legal deer they want without having to feel ashamed or to be ridiculed by others with other goals. I have a higher standard, but it is within reason,and it is by my choice, keeping in mind thatI don't need to hold others to it.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, my standards don't drop. Good or bad, I guess I am just stubborn.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

They change with location and local land rules. But other than that, when I decide on what to do I do it. I've eaten tags, like early bow season this year, but I decided that going in. Or tags I wasted two years in a row in Ohio with nice8 point bucks and multiple bucks in bow range the last evening of the hunt. One standard I don't change no matter where I'm hunting..... Nothing with Spots> LOL
You're nopt even in the contest, LOL

Contest is for fun and to me people, and I love it. I now have friends all over the USA. In 2005 I knew a few people out of my state now I have many friends in

KS
Iowa
MD
IN
ILL
PA
TX
OK
Canada
Idaho
WY
CO
MO
FL
Georgia
AL
MISS
NC
SC
VA
WVA
KY
TENN
NY
NJ
Ark
New Mex
Ariz

I am sure I missed a few, but all of these friends are from contest.

So my standards are the same, but my friend list is not, it's waaaayyy bigger

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Contest - Do you ever lower your standards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.