HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Slic-Trick failed me...sort of. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/210956-slic-trick-failed-me-sort.html)

mcgeehill 10-08-2007 03:16 PM

Slic-Trick failed me...sort of.

Monday Oct1
I shot a doe, perfect broadside double lung shot 20 yards. I was usingmy only bow wich was a Buckmasters G2, Carbon Force 300 predator arrow tipped with a Slick-Trick. After waiting 45 min me and my father went to the shot sight and found no blood.....searched for 2 hrs, still no blood. We did eventually find her several hrs later 1/4 mile away with the aid of a hound. The shot hole left alot to be desired. I did find my arrow with minimal blood. Yes I did get my deer and yes the 'Tricks DO fly like feild points, however I was kinda dissapointed in em....(sorry Muzzy, Ill never cheat again!) Now on the good side of things, the following Wed. eve I went to the local pro shop to get me some more Muzzy's......I walked out with some Muzzy's and a brand new BOWTECH!!!! Its just a TomKat but I Love it!!! Best bow I have ever owned!! My wife was pissed but she forgave me cuz I sold my spare drumset to pay for it.;)

cynikalHC 10-08-2007 03:19 PM

RE: Slic-Trick failed me...sort of.

Congrats on the doe... and the new bow. I usually end up having to buy my wife something also to make up for buying myself new hunting equipment.

mcgeehill 10-08-2007 03:26 PM

hey cynikalHCyeah, she did make the comment that I better do something extra special for our anniversary this Friday!!!

StrutNtom 10-08-2007 03:26 PM

Take her hunting!!!;):eek:

bigcountry 10-08-2007 03:28 PM

When I see reports like this, it puzzles me. I meana broadhead can only do so much. You have cutting diamter and number of cuts. If a 4 blade 1" diameter slick trick went in and passed thru, its not going to cause any more damage than a muzzy 4 blade 1" cutting diameter will. It justcan't. But if you shot broadsided and it didn't penetrate all the way thru,cause the blades are too large in diamter or not sharp, I understand.

I have shot deer with muzzy, thunderhead, and spitfires, and cheap cabelas mechanicals, and G5 montecs. And all created about the same wound channel. The spitfirres may have created a larger one.

I guess what I amsaying is a broadhead isn't a bullet, where speed and constuction defines the wound. Only number of cuts and diameter.

YooperMike 10-08-2007 03:38 PM

Extremely well said bigcountry! I was thinking the same thing. I used to use Thunderheads, now I use Slick Tridks and have been very pleased with the results. Some shots just don't leave alot of blood, exspecially if it was a high double lung, lots of cavity to fill up before the blood comes out.

fatsbucknut 10-08-2007 03:41 PM

1/4 mile is a long run for a double lunged deer. Shot muzzy's for my first few seasons, they were awesome to me. congrats on finding her though

mcgeehill 10-08-2007 03:48 PM

"When I see reports like this, it puzzles me. I meana broadhead can only do so much."
Hey brother it puzzles me to!! I agree with ya and I aint putting the blame on the Tricks. Heck it could a been the shot, the bow the arrow, the whole set up, the shooter, the devil!!! Who knows, thats just the way it went down and I dident wana chance it again..........so I just figured Id share mt thoughts

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-08-2007 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: fatsbucknut

1/4 mile is a long run for a double lunged deer. Shot muzzy's for my first few seasons, they were awesome to me. congrats on finding her though
That was going to be my point to fats, if she went 1/4 mile then I doubt you double lunged her or I question the sharpness of the heads. Had they been shot before or were they brand new never shot? (What we see isn't necessarily what happened).

The make/model of the head is not the issue, there was something more. (said as a Muzzy fan).

bigcountry 10-08-2007 03:51 PM

We appreciate your thoughts, and I too have been standing in a area where I hit a deer, wondering why it didn't bleed any. Sometimes, you just can't explain it.