Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long will it take deer to find the corn i put out? >

How long will it take deer to find the corn i put out?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
One day
36.59%
Three days
51.22%
One week
12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

How long will it take deer to find the corn i put out?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default How long will it take deer to find the corn i put out?

I put out a feeder in an area of oaks that is dropping a few acorns. They aren't all that big(the acorns)but the deer seem to be moving around the area and i want to keep them coming back. Now the question is... how long will it take them to figure out it is there?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long will it take deer to fing th ecorn i put out?

They found it the night you put it out , but they may be leary of it being there since it wasn't there before.
It might take several days to a week for them to get use to it being there and ifit makes any noise when it dispells the corn it could still spook them.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

They found it the night you put it out , but they may be leary of it being there since it wasn't there before.
It might take several days to a week for them to get use to it being there and ifit makes any noise when it dispells the corn it could still spook them.
Any ideas on how to keep it from making noise? It sounds like little firecrackers when it slings the corn.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might try some Crisco baking grease ( not the oil ) it's orderless and it just might quiet the feeder down alttle , but once the deer get use to the sound they'll know theres fresh corn on the ground.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Or, you could simply hunt them for the acorns and not have deer on the ready for some funny business. I really am not a baiting guy at all, but to each his own. I know that up in Northern Wisconsin, the baiting has turned the deer very nocturnal at the bait sites. Others that use bait keep saying how the bait is gone over night and they see no deer during the day, next am it's gone again. I think you are better off planing food plots or figuring out where they will be traveling. Also,baiting can get expensive. I know guys that are spending $30-50 per week baiting the deer. Might as well buy a cow for all that cash. If the deer are there, just figure out when and where they are moving and interecept. I believe baiting worked better 10-15 years ago than it does now. Food plots are the new way to go in my opinion, but like I said I've had better luck without bait, to each his own!
Dandbuck
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Dandbuck,
I understand what you are saying. I have never baited before, and i don't intend to "sit over the corn". I have it set up about 200 yards from the area i do intend to hunt which has ALOT of acorns droping. I was there today and it sounded like it was raining (acorns). Thats not to say that i wont be shooting at a deer that is on his/her way to the feeder. By the way, i spent 4.95 on 40lb bag of corn, and the feeder is set to dispence it at a rate of 2lb per day, so i am guessing it will last about 2 weeks until i have to spend another 4.95
Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

If deer are already in the area then they probably found it that day. I just put out some corn a month ago with my game cam on it and it took the first pic of deer 5 days later.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM

They found it that night, probably won't start using it heavily for a few days, maybe even a week or two depending on other avail. mast
Old 10-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Spike

I have a hang on feeder that i put out last week and when i went to fill it about noon on suday so i would spook any deer, it puts out 2 pounds in the morning and evening and the corn that had dropped that morning was already gone with plenty of deer sing around the feeder
Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

If theres that many acorns falling...forget the corn. Acorns are deer's #1 food.

Quick Reply: How long will it take deer to find the corn i put out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.