Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoot-through mesh? >

Shoot-through mesh?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot-through mesh?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Shoot-through mesh?

Hey all. I have been seeing lots of deer this week, but have not had success catching up with any for a shot. I think the mid-high 80's temperatures and quickly resulting persperation are responsible for most of the problem. In an effort to change my usual tactics and get closer, I got a ground blind. The windows are advertised as "shoot-through" mesh. Is this referring to guns only, or with a bow as well? Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I am sure that I have read something in the past about how broadheads flew through some sort of similar mesh material. I also seem to remember that the article noted a difference between mechanicals and cut-on-contacts, with the mechanicals obviously being much more problematic to shoot through the mesh. The blind I have is an Ameristep Doghouse. Could anyone clarify for me what the mesh is capable of?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 10-08-2007, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Shoot-through mesh?

A good a mech should open shooting thro mesh.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM

i have the same blind, when i got it i got out my arrows and tried to shoot through the mesh. I unfortunately had problems doing it so i decided to throw them away. I tried the Tekken II and the G5 montec 100 grains, the mesh caused the arrow flight to be sparratic. All i can say is get in the blind and shoot. I know its hot as hell in Ky, but just give it a shot.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM

I have tried this with COC broadheads (G5 Montec) and the mesh had no effect. However, I have it on good authority that the NAP Spitfires and Rage are not good to shoot through mesh. Not sure about firearms, but my guess is that a rifle bullet is going to be disturbed to some degree by going through the mesh. I know that hitting a tooth pick sized twig can de-stabilize a bullet. My solution to that problem, so far untested, is to cut a 2" vertical slit in the mesh and slip the muzzle of the gun and inch or so through the slit.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

i would doubt a thin piece of mesh is going to knock of a bullet moving at 2500 feet or sonow a stick i can see a stick is alot harder to shoot through them some mesh that i could push my finger through.
i would not think twice about shooting through mesh with a gun but not sure i would a bow
ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I have tried this with COC broadheads (G5 Montec) and the mesh had no effect. However, I have it on good authority that the NAP Spitfires and Rage are not good to shoot through mesh. Not sure about firearms, but my guess is that a rifle bullet is going to be disturbed to some degree by going through the mesh. I know that hitting a tooth pick sized twig can de-stabilize a bullet. My solution to that problem, so far untested, is to cut a 2" vertical slit in the mesh and slip the muzzle of the gun and inch or so through the slit.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Spike

I shoot thru with muzzy's and had no problems. Shot a doe last year and it hit right where I was aiming. Had my daughter in the blind with me. It was a lot of fun.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I would stick to fixed blade when shooting through mesh. I had a doghouse and now its my sons backyard tent. Too small for archery, but if you can pull it off the mesh should not affect your shot. I would really suggest setting it up and practice out of it. You will be suprised what it takes to shoot a bow out of there.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I shot through the mesh with a muzzy and killed a doe,had my son in the blind with me,he thought it was cool.They tell you on the directions not to shoot mechanicals or firarms through the mesh.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every set of instructions I have ever read on ground blinds specifically lists firearms and mechanical broadheads as no-nos when shooting through mesh. Heck my API even has a big ol' red tag right over the main window that states the user is a retard should he use a firearm, space heater or mechanical broadhead inside the blind.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most blinds allow you to easily either pull down or completely take the mesh off. For gun hunting or archery with mechanicals I would highely recomend doing that. I dont know for sure the effect of mesh on a bullet, but I would imagin that the muzzle blast would probably burn or melt a big hole in the mesh and who would want to do that.

Quick Reply: Shoot-through mesh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.