Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i am now a mobile hunter (NOW W/ PICS) >

i am now a mobile hunter (NOW W/ PICS)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i am now a mobile hunter (NOW W/ PICS)

Old 10-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default i am now a mobile hunter (NOW W/ PICS)

i was on my way home from hunting this morning and happened upon a garage sale to which this old climber caught my eye. i stopped and checked it out. it is light and very sturdy and was only 15 BUCKS so i bought it and i am going to hunt with it soon but i want to get used to it first. so now i am a mobile hunter and am hoping that it increases my odds at killing some good bucks. because now i can get back in the thick of it and be off the ground. how many of you guys hunt out of climbers.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i am now a mobile hunter

I do...
Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

i prefer my climber over anything else. like the mobility(i wont hunt the same tree in an area as long as i can help it...most my spots offer a couple different climbable trees...like my honey hole...ive been in 2 differnt trees this week...next saturday will be another tree...think i only have those 3 in that spot...but keeps deer from patterning me. if they know i use the same tree, ive found they will skirt me hard...

also like the comfort and secure feeling i get in my summit viper.

only thing i could do without is the 20lb weight and the size on my back when i got a lonnnng hike in(after a mile it gets old! lol..plus 10lb back pack..) or trying to "sneak" through brush but i love it....rarely hunt from my lockons....wont even both hanging a ladder....

good luck with it!! smart move on getting used to it first....whole new game if your not used to it. i found it DIFFICULT at best my first hunt from a lock on...being used to and setup for a climber...i got up there...pulled up my gear and said CRAP! where am i gunna put a bow and backpack!!?! screw in holders were in the pack...got them out somehow and lowered it all back to the ground lol.

with the summit i got a pouch on the front i keep my hooks and stuff like that in..so i climb up and got them handy...
Old 10-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to hunt from one but there are no good trees around for a climber where I hunt. I have to stick to the hang on stands.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own three of them...It's good to keep the deer guessing...In some areas just a move of 20 yards makes a huge difference on them scenting you...
Old 10-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Spike

CLIMBER
Old 10-07-2007, 02:16 PM

I bought a climber this past winter for the first time for the same reasons as you stated. I wanted to be more mobile without having to purchase several hang-on stands. I really like hunting out of the climber, but have run into a couple of problems. First off, I made the mistake of not scouting enough to find the EXACT trees that I wanted to hunt out of with the climber. I did do a bit of scouting last winter, which consisted of walking around looking for "relatively" straight trees next to good trails. This fall I went back to those same areas and they weren't as climable as I thought they were. The last few times I hunted I went into the woods blindly looking for good areas with a straight tree. I struggled finding one and ended up making a lot of noise trying to trim branches on my way up the tree. Not to mentionthe sweat that I worked up!! All of this could have been avoided I guess if I would have done this last winter. The second problem is walking through thick areas with the climber on my back. The stand sticks above my upper back a little ways and tends to hang up on low branches. Other than that, I am happy with the purchase. In my opinion, it is a great stand to have in conjuction with a few hang on stands.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bargain purchase.
I'd like a climber, but right now only have 2 hang-ons.

The climber gives you more flexibility to get intoa tree that may not be perfectly straight, or leans to one side. You can also rotate around to the other side of the tree if you find a better shooting lane or it gets too sunny.

Oh, and don't forget your safety harness.
I like the SOP.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I use both climber, and hang-ons.
Be sure to check all the bolts,etc....and use a safety belt.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Curious to what brand you happened to pick up? That was a good buy. I have a Loggy climber I use as a lock on.

In my Honey Hole I have lock ons. When I/we hunt the Hollow we carry in climbers. I do love hunting out of my climber. I have an Ol'man Grand, it's the easiest, most comfortable stand I've ever used. If I had the money I'd buy an arsenal of them and use them as lock ons.

Quick Reply: i am now a mobile hunter (NOW W/ PICS)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.