Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lone Wolf Stands >

Lone Wolf Stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf Stands

Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Lone Wolf Stands

I think the LW Assault and the sticks are better than any climber available!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, there's 3 lbs. difference between LW's Sit & Climb and Summit's Razor (which is probably the closest apples-to-apples comparison). You're going to get a variety of opinions on whether those three pounds are worth the comfort the Summit offers.

MOST hunters I know only hunt 1/4 mile from the truck, so those three pounds shouldn't matter a hill of beans... I'd be willing to bet that even those hunters who SWEAR they hunt "a mile" from their vehicles don't... I say this because I used to think I went way back until my Colorado trip and I started tracking myself via GPS... I wasn't going in near as far as I thought I was, even though I was still going in further than most do.

Here's a good alternative I've thought of myself after seeing the idea somewhere else... How about buying a Sit & Climb and then picking up a Summit seat and combining the two? The seats can be ordered very reasonably direct from Summit, and that way you possibly could have the best of both worlds!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have (2) LW Alpha's and (2) sets of 4 climbing sticks. I also have a Summit Viper. On my leased land, hands down the Alpha and sticks are the way to go. Even on public land, I use this set up 80% of the time. They are easier to pack and more versatile than the Summit climber or any climber for that matter just based on the fact the you can't prune or trim trees in order to effectively use a climber on public land.

I also have the Summit sticks and an old API hang on I use to get a couple of stands set up for different wind conditions. This usually stays put just based on the fact it is difficult to relocate without using a 4 wheeler or other transportation to get close enough to your stand location. You run the risk of messing up your hunting stand if you plan on hunting that area any time soon after that.

So to answer your question, the LW Alpha set up is the easiest to move to different locations. You can set it up very quietly as well. Go LW, you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 PM

is the alpha really light and easy to set? im new to hanging stands, i usually just hunt permanent stands at my private land.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mcagney014

is the alpha really light and easy to set? im new to hanging stands, i usually just hunt permanent stands at my private land.
Yes. The Alpha is light and capable of multiple adjustments in those not so straight trees.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Gutcheck......LOL....I sold Greg/MO my alpha ......because I hated it for a same day set. I also couldn't figure out a way to set it up, safely.

I'd like to maybe give the climbers a try.....but if it's not an advantage....I'll stick to what I have.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

I've tried both ways and have gone back and forth over the years[&:]. I'm back to using a SitnClimb again and don't currently have both setups due to all the $$$ wrapped up in both. My pros and cons to each:

Climber
Pro- Packs light, flat, easy to carry, quiet, safe.
Con-Finding a suitable tree in desired spot not always easy

Sticks and hangon
Pro- Packs good, usually provides a few more options as for trees in chosen spot
Con- Still have to fasten sticks and hang stand, but using the easy hang system is nice, makes hanging stand easy and safer.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Spike

GMMAC the LW alpha sit a climbtree stands weight aroung 16lbs the viper is around 22lbs. Now when hunting on public land i walk 1.5miles back and the 6lbs makes a differnce. Also the stand folds down nicer andmore compact and is way faster to set up. In my eyes the LW is a no brainer.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gutcheck......LOL....I sold Greg/MO my alpha ......because I hated it for a same day set. I also couldn't figure out a way to set it up, safely.

I'd like to maybe give the climbers a try.....but if it's not an advantage....I'll stick to what I have.
I have a pretty good system down for setting them up so it isn't too big of issue. The same day set doesn't bother me but very rarely do I have to move the same day as I usually have 3-4 set up on the lease and so does my hunting buddy. If we can't get find a good spot with 6-8 different stands set up then we have bigger problems!!!

I haven't tried the LW climbers as I have been really happy with the hang on climbing stick set up. When I am ready to buy a climber I will give them a serious look.

I just wish I had my own land and could put ladder stands up everywhere!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you haven't handled one you need to. I have twice and I'm not going to get one.

Many good things about the stand. Some I just can't get by. I like the positive locking, but it's way to stiff for me. Just be too much trouble when I'm trying to limit my movement and noise. Seemed like the same way I feel cocking an x bow.

Despite all the hype, they haven't made the perfect stand yet.