Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's up with this? >

What's up with this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's up with this?

Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's up with this?

I've posted this pic before, but this white oak and its twin about 30ft away have dropped acorns like I've never seen before! They are ALL OVER the ground, everywhere. These acorns are their favorites.The first and second time I hunted it I saw deer. Both times I shot a doe. Now the last 2 times I've been there, nosightings. I don't believe this area is disturbed, as my kills were 2 weeks apart. Pressure is very light.Could they just be going to some of the other oaks in the area? Or do you think it's the damn heat like I'm suspecting? Oh yea, there's a small creek 30yrds from these trees as well. Your thoughts?

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 AM

Default RE: What's up with this?

I've got the same kinda of thing going on here in WI. I'm going to put a trailcam out there today. I thought the deer where on the acorns because they wernt in the crop fields until after dark.?????
Old 10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heat.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

early in we have the same problem in the south sometimes when its hot an we don't get no rain--Me an my hunting buddies kinda feel like the scent is piling up--with no rain or frost to clear it!!!I don't no if you have had rain--but two dead deer an the scent of you being in there a few times--- I believe a good rain or a cold spell and you will be back in business!!IMO
Old 10-06-2007, 12:51 PM

i dont see what your talking about...i dont see any acorns in that pic......lol
Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

That does'nt look like the bark of a white oak,looks more like a swamp or chestnut oak,which is a variety of a white oak,but they are normally a very large acorn which is produced by those oaks,and the deer do love them.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Spike

HEAT HEAT HEAT make sure you sit there on the first cold snap. you will see deer.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM

yep heat IMPO
Old 10-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with BowKnutt, you have killed a couple of does in there. Deer eat every day no matter what the temp.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 AM

Probably a combination of heat and burnout. Sounds like you've spent too much time and left too much scent (like your pack laying on the ground)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.