Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 max shooting distance >

max shooting distance

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

max shooting distance

Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 AM

Default max shooting distance

i have set my max shooting distance to 25-30 yards this year but i was wondering what is the max shooting distance that you would shoot if acuracy wasn't an issue with a bow shooting 260-270fps just kinda wondering I would think anything over 45 yards and the deer would duck the arrow.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: max shooting distance

I would think anything over 45 yards and the deer would duck the arrow.
Deer can "duck the arrow" at 20 yards out of a bow shooting 285, don't be fooled.

Actually I see deer "ducking" spooking less out at farther distances. I don't know if they hear the bow less or because it's not as startling farther away.

Your maximum shooting range is your maximum shooting range and it may differ from mine. A bow shooting 260-270 is much different in every hand that shoots it!.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

My max is 40 yards (at least at an animal). I sometimes practice out to 60 or 70 but I am not confident enough out to that range that I would make a good shot. Just remember how far you can shoot accurately during practice and make sure not to go over that in the field.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot at 50 and 60 yds alot but still like to keep my shots on animals to 40 and under when the adrenalin gets pumping it seems to effect maximum range, at least for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have set my limit at 30 yds because that is as far as my yard lets me practice. I don't think 40 yds would be a problem with my setup though. I'm between 255 - 260 fps.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

A couple years ago I would have said 30 yards. After hunting out west I can say 50 would be my max. That is with at least a couple shots that far every day to stay in tune. Now I just came back from SD and I hunted with a guy that could hit at 70 yards no prob. He even shot at a target at 100 yards and was very accurate. He shoots for PSE and he shoots a lot. He did say he would never shoot an animal that far but I feel it is all in how you prepare.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM

I'm shooting 315 and i'm good out to 50 at a deer..

but you have to practice alot if you want to shoot that far
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoyt slayer

i have set my max shooting distance to 25-30 yards this year but i was wondering what is the max shooting distance that you would shoot if acuracy wasn't an issue with a bow shooting 260-270fps just kinda wondering I would think anything over 45 yards and the deer would duck the arrow.
Deer don't "duck the arow" at all. The react to bow noise, by tensing their leg muscles to flee. That just naturally makes them drop. The more the noise and/or the more foreign to them the more they drop.

The speed of sound is approx 1100 fps and the fastest bows only shoot less than 1/3 that fast. You can figure the times out if you want, but the fact is sound still gets to the animal in 1/3 the time it takes the arrow.

Now that being said, the farther away the animal is the more subdued the noise will be from a normally set up hunting bow. Therefore the animal might be less likely to react to the noise at all. Every situation can be different.

In answer to the original question? I restrict my shots to a distance of what I can shoot 4" groups. That is noramlly going to be about 45 yards being as I'm getting older. OK, so now I set a tighter limit. 30 yards max. There are too many variables with each scenerio I might run into. I've also found that a bow shooting above 260 fps can be sighted in for 25 yards and hunting shots can be made from 5-30 yards without correcting for trajectory. I don't need a range finder or need to determine the exact distance. If the animal is within 30 yards I can hold mid range up the body and make the shot. The only thing I have to determine is if it within that 30 yards and my two eyes can do that easily.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer don't "duck the arow" at all. The react to bow noise, by tensing their leg muscles to flee. That just naturally makes them drop. The more the noise and/or the more foreign to them the more they drop.
I agree, I've posted that before as well. I hate the term "duck" that's why I "" it...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM

thanks I was kinda just wondering im a target shooter that turned hunter so im not great with my hunting bow but with a little more practice i could deffinatly keep a good group out past 50 yard. but i don't have any place where i could even get a shooting lane that far.

Quick Reply: max shooting distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.