Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elephant taken with Bow >

Elephant taken with Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elephant taken with Bow

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elephant taken with Bow

ORIGINAL: Germ

Bob I have the "If it can eat me rule"

Means if the critter can eat me for dinner I leave it alone
It's different over there. I think you would love it. It would spoil you though. You'd come back here and wonder where all the people are to take care of things for you. They treat you as if your king of the world, except for the ride in and out that is. Gets kinda hairy.

No, I havent gone but my brother has several times. Going again in a month. This is his wifessecond trip. She's a dead eye.

Most have no idea of the total cost of a trip like this. His buddyfinally recieved some of his kills from over there. Shipping bill was 7 grand. I'm sure his taxidermy bills are close to or more than $100,000 by now. Maybe 2. A recent trip was $54,000 and that didn't include everything. He's been there more times than my brother. He's also going next month on a bow hunt withthe new pse bow. He uses some kind of locking deal on his bow or did on past trips. Not like your holding that much weight, you just got to get it there.

As far as the meat goes, none of it is wasted and you do (I could say eat some of it but that wouldn't do it justice) dine on it while your there.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, had no idea! Congrats!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:06 AM

I respect the "if I don't eat it, I don't shoot it crowd."

But, I give deer meat away all the time. There is no way my family and I could ever eat as much as we kill. So, I have several families that are not very well placed economically that are overjoyed when I give them a deer. It makes their day, and week, to have some extra meat in the house that they would otherwise not have.

What is the difference here? I have traveled to allot of third world countries, nothing goes to waste. Every scrap of meat, every shard of bone gets used. I am certain that the elephant meat, bones and all went to very good use. It is all a matter of perspective.

OBTW, if you want to get all up in your back and accuse me and my sons for killing too many deer, we hunt on a military reservation that requires the deer to be culled. We have way too many and must thin the herd every year. We do not shoot over our limit, but with three bucks and three does plus two extra with a bow a year, that makes for allot of deer.

Hank
Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Broadside, you must be quite hunter to take an elephant like that with a bow! It takes guts, and, I am sure a lot of skill and practice. I respect your hunting skills, nerve and dedication to the sport. That said, I don't think I would shoot an elephant, unless it was a habitual rogue that was endangering people. I’ve seen too many documentaries about elephants’ intelligence, amazing long term memory and affectionate nature: (greeting other elephant friends that have been separated for a decade or more and they immediately recognize each other, the long and very ritualized “elephant funerals” when a member of the herd dies, mother elephants revisiting sites where one of their young died during a migration and pausing and swaying for up to half an hour on the spot for years after the death, dozens of miles away from “home”). For me, it would be like shooting a dog or a monkey or ape, etc. I would only shoot them if they were rabid or some other kind of menace. But that’s just me. You have the right to shoot what you want, as long as it’s not a human being or belongs to someone else. Congrats on the nice trophy.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

But, I give deer meat away all the time. There is no way my family and I could ever eat as much as we kill. So, I have several families that are not very well placed economically that are overjoyed when I give them a deer. It makes their day, and week, to have some extra meat in the house that they would otherwise not have.

Me too, we keep one for the freezer, but that is all we will eat during the year. Anything past the first one will go to friends/familywho will eat it or the venison donation program.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good story Broadside. Great Hunt.

If you have doubts as to whether a Bow can kill an elephant humanely enough (and obviously, you do)then I would encourage you, never to use a bow again, whether it makes for better tv programming fodder or not. There is no real choice.

No problem with elephant hunting in general though, as long as they (like any other animal) are managed correctly.

Those who would designate any animal in generalas something that should be "off limits" to anyone but themselves probably suffer from their own meager hunting experience and lack of resources to try something different.

Take Care.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on an awesome hunt Broadside! I bet the .416 offered some sense of security, but man, that's some scary stuff. Glad things worked out for you.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Broadside, congrats on your hunt if that is what makes you happy. Me personally dont agree with hunting elephants but if you can do it, get it done! I dont agree with everything ohiobuck25 said but elephants, zebra's, and other "pretty" animals are etched in my head as a better left alone. I think it may be how I grew up because I watched Dumbo and how cute he wasand when I was shown Bambi all I said was "Bam.....bam.......dead deer.....lets eat!" Look at how the pacificists have gotten to us over the years thinking elephants and other exotics are off limits and for weird reason I agree. Who would crush a polar bear?Who would crush a Puma? I am not anti anything, do what you want even though I may not agree. Congrats and happy hunting!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck