Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elephant taken with Bow >

Elephant taken with Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elephant taken with Bow

Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Elephant taken with Bow

I shot the bull on the last day of my hunt and at the last hour. My arrow was placed good, but the bull was still standing in thick brush when we tracked him down. So literally at the last hour of the day, I had to finish the bull with a .416. The bull was dying but I did not have the time to wait and I did not want him to suffer so I feel it was the right decision mad.

I'm not going to lie about it, hunting an elephant with a bow is tricky and risky. You have a 50% chance of hitting ribs, in which you will NOT go thru. Then there lungs are so huge that a low lung shot will still allow the elephant to run for hours, which is not what we as bow hunter want to do.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

A friend of mine is headed there soon if not already. He's shooting a 90 Hoyt and made an arrow consisting of 3 different arrows that all slide into one another to make up the weight.

Me personally I have zero desire to shoot an elephant but to each their own. Too many North American animals I haven't taken yet.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BroadsideAdventures

My BowTech Tribute bow was setat 100#, and I was using 125 grain InnerLoc Broadheads. My total arrow wt. was 750 grains, they were double stacked Easton arrows. I had to use a the original Knotless loop because all other string loops were braking under thewt. I also used a Scot "Shark" Release it was rated for the 100# pull.

Any other questions???
Wow! What a bow!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

WAY TO GO MAN!!!!!THATS AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

How come you weren't holding the head up in the pic?Pretty impressive bud, no desire to shoot an elephant, but that is one heck of a feat nonetheless.

Shane
Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

That is unbelievable, congratulations. I'll bet that wasn't an easy drag. lol
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM

I think that all the meat goes to the local village.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome! That is something I plan on doing. So, how deeply did you sink the arrow? Was it a good double lunger or what? Details please?

Rob....I said that about Africa ten years ago...too many critters in my own backyard to hunt, right. Now, I would go to Africa every year if feasible! It is an amazing place!. It should not be overlooked my friend!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know Will but with an Bull Elk, Black Bear, Whitetail, Coyote Rio Gobbler and Eastern Gobbler under my bowhunting belt, I want a Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Caribou, Moose and more, long before I head to Africa....it's going to be a long road.

Quick Reply: Elephant taken with Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.