Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opening Day and BBD >

Opening Day and BBD

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening Day and BBD

Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Opening Day and BBD

Yes the pics are bad and sorry.

We had seen this deer in a horse pasture just off Public land Sunday evening. I sneaked in about 3:00 Mondayand found a low spot in the fence and a scrape/licking branch near the fence. I set up about 21 yards downwind of the trail and scrape and sweated....I mean waited. About 3:30 a small spike come by and a nice six with 4 does. They passed within 37 yards. After about 3 hours of watching these deer slowy graze out of site munching on acorns I figure the day is over. I radio my Cousin and ask if he is ready to go. Just then I hear crunch crunch. The Hookster (as we named him Sunday) comes running off the bluff and comes right to the licking branch. He starts rubbing his antlers on the limbs and makes a scrape. Another smaller buck come in right behind him and is waiting his turn for the branch. It is approx 6:50 and getting dark fast. I made a split decision and took the shot while he was working the branch at 21 yards. The Muzzy Mx3 hit high just behind the left shoulder and exited low and back on the right side. He jumped a fence and ran about 40 yard before he expired in sight of my stand.

I admit he did shrink when he hit the ground as the often do. But I was again with my Family and God had blessed me with a great opportunity for anothey P&Y buck that some have never harvested. I was also again assistied by my Dad who helped us field dress and tag him. I know that someday my Dad will be gone but these memories will never be missed and I am truly blessed to have had such a great opening day and shared with those who love the sport as much as I.

Now the Trophy Hunt starts...............Got Jerky now to!

Thanks and Good Luck

Buck.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Default RE: Opening Day and BBD

2 Pic

Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! I can see why you named hin hookster. Thats a sweet tine.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great work, i love that kicker on the G-2.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

great story, great deer!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job on an opening day buck!!!

What state are you in?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buck, that's a VERY nice deer.. love the kicker, too -- really gives him some character!!

Congrats!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Concrats! sweet deer, on public land and opening day, seems like you know what you are doing!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck44

Now the Trophy Hunt starts...............Got Jerky now to!

Thanks and Good Luck

Buck.

Something bothers me about that statement. First of all congrats on a great buck. If that's not a trophy to you, then what is? That would be a fine trophy and wallhanger in my book any time. If he is not a trophy to you, then why shoot him? If you wanted meat why didn't you just shoot a doe and let him get older and bigger? I'm not knocking you for shooting him. I would have taken him in a heartbeat, because in my eyes he is a trophy. Please don't take this the wrong way, just wanted to know what a trophy is to you and why you decided to take him for meat when you could have taken a doe.

Quick Reply: Opening Day and BBD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.