HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whats the heaviest draw weight? Just Curious and bored.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/209809-whats-heaviest-draw-weight-just-curious-bored.html)

Buck_Slayer 10-01-2007 05:54 PM

Whats the heaviest draw weight? Just Curious and bored..

What is the heaviest draw weight that you can get on a hunting set up? Which bow/make/model.

Also, what kind of arrow would you need to get the correct spine?

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-01-2007 06:08 PM

RE: Whats the heaviest draw weight? Just Curious and bored..

I'd imagine you can special order from just about any manufacturer.

I know a friend of mine is heading to Africa for elephants, he ordered 90lb limbs for his Hoyt Trykon.

Rick James 10-01-2007 06:15 PM

I personally setup and tuned an 86lb Apex 7 for a customer last year. It had the standard 80lb limbs but he wanted a bit higher poundage so I had gibblet make me a set of custom strings for it to wring out a few more lbs. He was shooting easton 2613's out of it at 300+ fps.....lol. He also had a 90lb Allegiance the year before. I watched him shoot a 330ish grain arrow out of the Allegianceone day through the chrono just to see what it would do......lol.......I don't remember exactly but I think it was going something like 370fps. I had to draw the A7 a few times while setting it up and let me tell you it was a beast. I remember thinking halfway through the draw the last time I drew it that I was worried about tearing a shoulder apart............

Buck_Slayer 10-01-2007 07:04 PM

Wow, 370? that is nuts...I saw a guy shooting an 85 pound hoyt at the archery place last year. It was blazing fast. I would like to try to pull one back just for the heck of it...my bow is easy as pie, not that I plan on going up. Justt wanna see what it is like.

GeorgiaTomkat 10-01-2007 07:26 PM

Didn't Dan & Guy Fitzgerald say they shoot 100 lb draw?

kinny 10-01-2007 07:35 PM

The Fitzgerald's are finger shooters, I can't imagine what 100lb must feel like on a short ATA bow like the Switchback XT's that they shoot. NOT comfortable enough for me, I'm sure.

I heard from a guy at my local archery shop that Ray Howell shoots a 100 pound bow, or at least he does for African game. Ray works out at my gym, his arms are nearly as big as my legs.

outdoorslover 10-01-2007 07:36 PM

I would have to say that those who shoot that high of poundage might be......compensating for something[8D]:D JK