HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Straight Down Shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/209752-straight-down-shot.html)

LebeauHunter 10-01-2007 12:31 PM

Straight Down Shot

Just wonderin guys.

From what I've been told the stand I'm probably hunting in in a couple hours may present an almost
straight down shot (I didn't set up the stand). What would you guys do if you had a nearly straight
down shot and not much hope for a broadside or a steep broadside. Would you aim for the spine or
would you aim for just to the side of the spine (if at a slight ange) to try split the lungs, or would
you not shoot?

NCRemington700 10-01-2007 12:34 PM

RE: Straight Down Shot

I would aim for the spine but I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel about it without having practiced that shot.

BobCo19-65 10-01-2007 12:35 PM

I wouldn't aim or shoot straight down in any circumstance.

GMMAT 10-01-2007 12:35 PM

Not shoot. I've had an opportunity like this at the buck I call the bull....and I passed. No regrets.

LebeauHunter 10-01-2007 12:42 PM

I agree that I should probably not be taking a spine shot. So I guess you want the deer at enough angle
broadside to give you a good chance at both lungs, right?

cynikalHC 10-01-2007 12:44 PM

Defenitely dont take the shot if you have not practiced with it. Even if you have practiced then only take it if you are positive that you can make it.

JimPic 10-01-2007 12:46 PM

The deer won't just appear under your stand.It walked in and it'll walk away.Wait for a better shot

BobCo19-65 10-01-2007 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

I agree that I should probably not be taking a spine shot. So I guess you want the deer at enough angle
broadside to give you a good chance at both lungs, right?
If I can get both lungs or heart without shooting through heavy bone, then I'll shoot. Otherwise, I wouldn't, compound or traditional.

LebeauHunter 10-01-2007 12:54 PM

JimPic,

I didn't think the spine shot was something I would do, but you read these stupid hunting mags and
they act like its okay, so I was mulling it over.

Anyway, I know that and in 98% of cases (the normal area I hunt), you would see the deer from 50 yards
plus. But this is an opening in dense pine with the stand very close and I've been told that they come
out almost right under the stand.

OGW 10-01-2007 01:29 PM

I'd be tempted to wait even if it's so they are only slightly farther out from your stand. In all likelyhood they will turn a little bit and allow for a higher percentage shot. I'd shoot...but I would wait until thier 5+yards out and aim off center for the heart so theres a better chance of getting a pass through and a better blood trail.