Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up >

NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

Old 10-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

I sent two deer to a family I donate venison to (anonymously.....a co-worker is a scout leader for a few of the boys in this family of FOURTEEN), Friday. He shows up at their house with the venison (unannounced) and tells them he understands if they don't have room in their freezer....and that if that's the case....he can store it at his house. The mom tells him "No"....the freezer's empty.

I can't imagine the pressure, as a man, to provide for that many. I think about this a lot. I'm a very proud man.....and I wonder how this man gets through his days.

He is a preacher.....a good man (all this I hear....I've never met them)....and a good father. They're good people....they just have some needs that I can't fathom.

Ask at church.....ask at work.....find something like this to do for people AND yourself. It makes the events of MY life seem trivial.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

Makes you feel real good inside afterwords also!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have taken to donating my deer also. My daughter donated her first deer a couple of years ago and it is an awesome feeling, especially when you stop and reflect about how good it is that we are able to do this.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great job GMMAT. I do the same and if I can't find anyone personally I donate to the Hunter's for the Hungry program.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

While I agree that it is cool and all to give to those less fortunate as I donate deer to our HSH program as well, I can’t help but feel that someone who chooses to have 14 kids, without the ability or means to solely provide for them is a bit irresponsible.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff..
As a father of 4 and my wife a stay at home mom I can relate now we are not that bad off I make great money but we have are trying times. I tell ya thats awsome that you did that. I often thought about it. I may have to look into that here in Pa..
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Jeff.

That's the way to do it, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

rybo...

While I tend to agree with you on most accounts (respect!)......I have to disgree, here. While "I" can't fathom having that many kids.....this man and woman may have more love than I can imagine.....and want to share it. He works 2 jobs besides his preaching.....and I know I'm not the only one helping out. TWELVE kids.....and my friend says it's the cleanest house you've ever seen. They all work at it.....down to the little ones. His oldest is 20....and is in college. Wow.

I think, in general, you are 100% correct. There's always the exception. I think I found it/them. In almost every case, though....I'd AGAIN agree with you.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know you did this last year too Jeff, fantastic job this year too. Great job. Keep doing what you doing, your doing it right.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.fhfh.org/cgi-bin/index.asp

In MD you can drop a deer off at a participating butcher and they will process it for a minimal charge (payed by the state from hunting fees). This is a very good program.

Quick Reply: NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.