Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opening day... so far.. not so good >

Opening day... so far.. not so good

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening day... so far.. not so good

Old 09-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opening day... so far.. not so good

this morning was opening day of the PA archery season.. i was pumped for today untill i started hunting.. you knw that feeling where uve sat in a trree and havent seen ne thing with a heartbeat besides yourself... well this morning was that kinda of day.. not a squirrel or bird.. and ESP. not any deer, which was a bummer because my stand is near a trail that could rival most highways.. on the brighter side.. it cant get ne worse.. jsut wanted to see how everyone elses opening morning went?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opening day... so far.. not so good

Didn't see any deer but did get to curse my first squirrel of the season

I wasn't prepared for this N wind......
Old 09-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I am in NC Pa. I didn't see any deer, but did have a huge black bear run underneath my tree.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Full Moon last night wasnt it?? i think that along with the cold front that rolled in last evening realy turned em off tthis morning. They all filled up last night!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well at least you had nice weather. This was day 10 in a stand for me, besides taking a Doe opening morning its been sloooooooooow. Didnt see any deer this morning. Lots of squirrels and 2 foxes but no deer. 2 Other guys hunting our property saw nothing either.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Spike

Didn't see a deer until I got down and went to check out my other stand, there stood 2 bucks and few does. The only plus side to this morning was on my way out a nieghbor walkin by asked if I could come hunt in his yard. After him practically pulling my teeth I accepted his invitation. His house is even more prime then where I am now. Sucks to be me haha.

Don't worry guys tonight will be much better, I believe the deer will move a lot earlier then expected. Yes there is close to a full moon tonight but with the amount of leaves still up the woods is too dark. The last hour of daylight should be money.

Good luck boys
Old 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

full moon is deffinatly having an affect[&o]. Where i sat i usually see 5-15 deer a sit and saw nothing today.[:-]
Old 09-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

SE Pa no deer here eithr seen a few in the afternoon driving from stand to stand but never seen on while in stand and the moon was low tonight i dunno maybe next time
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I spent three out of four hours watching 18 turkeys feed within 20yds of me. I stunk having to sit there watching them while we don't have a fall turkey season.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

DEER DOWN... well this morning was ruff,, but this evening made up for it with my first ever bow kill.. the night started out to be honest a complete let down.. the land owner who had given myself and 1 other exclusive rights to hunt there, but when we arrived to hunt our stands..the other person had brought himself and 6 others to hunt a 60 acre hardwoods plot.. needless to say i was thrilled.. i got up in my stand at 4:10 and by 5:10 a yearling had come strolling in.. (no mother to be seen) i wasnt going to shoot her originally but the oppurtunity presented itself and for a first bow kill i was not going to pass it up.. she was almost completely quartering to me .. i knw not the best shot angle.. but at 12 steps and confidence in my shot i sent a 300 st axis streaming tipped with the new hellrazors right threw her like a knife through butter!!! she dropped in her place .. after a field dressed autopsy i discoverd i hit 1 lung and center punched her heart.. not to bad for a quartering to shot.. just thought id share my story