Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lets see if we can get a Blue Tongue post for every state. >

Lets see if we can get a Blue Tongue post for every state.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets see if we can get a Blue Tongue post for every state.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lets see if we can get a Blue Tongue post for every state.

I haven't heard of any cases in Minnesota.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

We have cases of it here in SE Ohio and I just got back from Tennessee today and they said they have it down there too.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 AM

we have got a major case of it here in east tennessee. My neighbor found 8 dead just last week, my other neighbor found 5, and i found 3 last week at the pond. Its kinda devistating, i guess cause of the drought, but i have fawns running around without mothers and deer dieing in my backyard, its a bad bad situation. NEED COLDER WEATHER
Old 10-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hann't heard of a case here in Rhode Island
Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bobnan

I haven't heard of any in MD. Has anyone else?
Yeah its hit Maryland pretty hard in several areas. Here is a post from another web site, I wont post the web site as I dont want to advertise any other web sites on here as its not really appropriate, but here isone post as there are several others indicating possible Blue Tongue in MD.

09/18/07 at 09:52 PM

[hr]

I know there is another thread similar to this but I thought I would start a new one. I have been traveling up and down Kent, Queen Anne and Talbot County the last 3 weeks planting fall Food Plots and just about every farm I go to they are finding dead deer regularly the last few weeks. Many of these deer are near water, which is a sign of the Blue Tongue Disease. Calls to the DNR have not produced much and they dont even want to come inspect the animals.

Just today I was working in Cecil County near Indian Acres and the Land Owner showed me 5 deer they found dead on the shore of their pond. 4 of them were bucks. I would venture to say that 80% of the dead deer found by either me or my customers are bucks. Here is a picture I took today with my cell phone of a buck dead by a pond.

Attached Thumbnails
Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Evening Gents
In Southeast Missouri where Iam from we have had numerous deer that had died from blue tongue and it sucks. Only the nice bucks seem to being hit with this. Friends of mine have told me of 2 nine pointers and 11 pointer that had been found dead. My question is, Is it the healthy deer that get this Blue Tongue or the weak? I heard through a local agent that they say it's the healthy, but why is this. We lack RAIN fall in our area tremendously but they say to get rid of this we need a good frost to get rid of thisinsect thatbites. Com'on COLD WEATHER....
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm told it's present in De but the DNR is trying to keep it quite. I also saw in the newspaper last week the herd in WVa has some kind of desese that comes from little knats and it has transfered to some cattle inthe Md panhandle. Cool weather is supposed to kill it off but that hasn't happened yet as it's still in the high 80's. The artical went on to say once a deer contacts it it will die in about a week. It also says the deer will seek water. Lots of deer found alonf the creeks.
Here, I found a link to the story

http://wjz.com/marylandwire/MD--DeerDeaths/resources_news_html
Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

Is "Blue tongue" the same as CWD? In NY http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8345.html
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Host of Hosts

Been cases reported in quite a few counties in Pa. Mostly southern Pa.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys
To learn more on BTV- blue tongue virus just do a google search. It's caused by biting midges. It'll take care of itself when we get some cold weather or a good frost. Rain wouldn't hurt either

Quick Reply: Lets see if we can get a Blue Tongue post for every state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.