Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 turkeys in the roost >

turkeys in the roost

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

turkeys in the roost

Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Default turkeys in the roost

what do you guys think, is it ethical to take a turkey out of the roost???
Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: turkeys in the roost

In Tx it doesn't matter if its ethical, its illegal so I won't do it.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll just say this....I won't even look in our regs to see if it is or isn't. I won't do it.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Too much at stake taking a turkey from the roost. One is shooting an arrow straight up and not knowing where it may fall. Also, if the turkey is hit; theres a good chance that it may get stuck in the tree and die. Not worth it in my opinion. Wait until they fly down and call them in. It's much more exciting that way.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

No thats not hunting. It is also illegal here in PA. If it were legal i still would not do it. Dont really seem to fun to me.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i ever get a fall turkey licence i will have to look at the iowa regs to find out if it is legal....turkey fly up/down around my deer stands all the time. I wouldnt be shooting 'up' at the bird that way.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM

its illegal in NE and SD to shoot a turkey that is roosted
Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

No.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Not legal in most states...............not very sporting..........ethicalis a relative question,what is unethical to me may not be to you...........personally I would not shoot a roosted turkey regardless of legality or someone's imposed ethics.........to me it would not be right.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Too much at stake taking a turkey from the roost. One is shooting an arrow straight up and not knowing where it may fall. Also, if the turkey is hit; theres a good chance that it may get stuck in the tree and die. Not worth it in my opinion. Wait until they fly down and call them in. It's much more exciting that way.
I agree completly!

The one thing you forgot to mention is that when turkey is hit, unless you shoot his head off he will lock his wings and it's hard to tell were he will end up.

Personally I don't think it's ethical. If you need the meat, thats one thing but shooting it of the roost just to be shooting it means nothing. A big part of hunitng is the memories and stories we share together. What kind of a story is " I was walking in this morning, seen some turkey's in the tree and shot one". Do it the hard and safe way, you will enjoyand value it a lot more.

Quick Reply: turkeys in the roost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.