Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting deer

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Baiting deer

Food plots are not hunted over? When hunting Alabama we hunted over every plot we planted. Now it's the same on our Ga. property, we plant over 20 plots and hunt every one of them.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM

this subject is cruelty to animals!It's called beating a dead horse!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a general rule people who live in states where it is not legal are opposed to people doing it in states where it is legal. Maybe a little jealosy.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't use a mechanical release on my bow and think anyone that does is cheating...They are taking advantage of those poor little deer, any real man would learn to use his own fingers to pull back the bow string...If you are using a release, you might as well use a crossbow or a spot light and shoot them at night....

Get your head out of the sand, as long as a hunter abides by his state's game laws, its none of your business how he hunts....If you don't like how the laws are in your state, get yourself elected and change them, but stay away from mine...

Why don't some of ya'll spend more time improving your hunting and shooting skills instead of worrying about what somebody else is doing????

Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh, please let this topic go away (closing my eyes and wishing...) crap still here.

I think we all have such differing opinions partly because our states DEFINE baiting differently. I don't think of salt/minerals as baiting but in other states it's baiting. That's part of the problem here.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

DEJAVU
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dragonslayer1

Anyone who thinks you can throw out a pile of corn and kill monster bucks off it has never tried it. Sure, once in a while, like any other type of hunting, one stumbles by, but by and large it will be does, yearlings and young bucks. Once they learn there may be danger lurking in the tree by the corn pile even the does will be ultra cautious and many won't visit it in daylight.
You are correct about the majority of the deer. However, they will feed just like and other feeding time they do. They come and go as they please. I thought they would have gourged themselves on the corn but they don't the eat it and move on. Most deer will benefit and few will pay with their life to benifit the herd.

Now to move on to why would you bait. The biggest reason to bait has to do with meat quality. Steersbefore they get slaughtered, go off the grass and on to corn and grain. Why? It sweetens the meat. Back when I ate deer you could tell the difference. It's right away from the time you first cut the deer open to field dress.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LetsDoThisDamnThing

Lets be honest guys, feeding is cheating. If you have to wait over a pile of bait to shoot a deer your not a real hunter. Why some states legalize it is beyond me, the only reason I can think it would be legal is if there is an overpopulation of deer. Anyone can put grain out for a couple of weeks before opening day and shoot a deer; not everyone can go into the woods find a good spot and shoot one. As for food plots most are not designed to be hunted over but rather to provide healthy food for the deer during long tough winters and in some cases to promote antler growth. Hunting over a natural food source is a perfectly acceptable way to hunt in my book, those of you who can tell the difference between a white oak acorn and a red oak acorn will know what i'm talking about. PS deer prefer white oak acorns
So you hunt over "naturally baited" areas.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Lets be honest guys, feeding is cheating in some states. If you have to wait over a pile of bait to shoot a deer your not a real hunter in some people's eyes.....but you're still abiding by the laws of your state (if it's legal, there) and I'm betting most who oppose it live in states that don't allow it. Why some states legalize it is beyond me, but who am I tolegislate what other statesdo with their herd?One reason I can thinkof .....for it to be legal.....would be is if there is an overpopulation of deer.Some can put grain out for a couple of weeks before opening day and shoot a deer; not everyone can.Go into the woods find a good spot and shoot one, if you want to be seen as a hunter in my eyes. As for food plots most aredesigned to be hunted overand to provide healthy food for the deer during long tough winters and in some cases to promote antler growth. Hunting over a natural food source is a perfectly acceptable way to hunt in my book.Those of you who can tell the difference between a white oak acorn and a red oak acorn will know what i'm talking about, though I wonder why that tidbit of information resonates as "information" to most. PS deer prefer white oak acorns (as if you didn't know that).

If theabove had been worded that way (as amended)....I could buy it.

I've said it before....and I'll say it again....

The difference between a bait pile and a food plot is the size of the pile.Spread shelled corn over 2 acres and put that beside a2 cre food plot and tell me the difference. The difference between a 100 acre ag field and a 2 acre food plot is the size of the field.Plant 100 acres of biologic and put that beside 100 acres of beans and tell me the difference. I have also YET to see corn and soy beans growing indigenously in a field.

Careful ye who cast stones.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

*sigh*

Quick Reply: Baiting deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.