Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who else is trying something new this year? >

Who else is trying something new this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who else is trying something new this year?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who else is trying something new this year?

I'm trying something new Saturday morning. In my area (and many others) the weather has been hot and dry. Not just a little dry either, desert dry, no rain for weeks. I was hunting a base this week and while I was in the parking area the grounds caretaker stopped and asked me where I was hunting. He cuts all the grass and bushogs and maintains the gravel and dirt paths, so I started to pick his brain a little. I told him that I have been seeing deer just not the numbers I thought I would see (all evening hunts) and all sightings have been late.

I asked if he knew of any water and his answer surprised me a little but makes perfect sense. He said that with the drainages and one creek dried up and no glaring water source for literally mileshe has noticed about 10x the deer activity early morning and he has been seeing them not so much in the cut corn or beansbut in the taller grass around the field edges, ditches, and bush hogged paths. He believes that the early morning cool weather is part of it but he also feels like the deer are getting some of their H2O needs met from browsing the tall grass and leafy stuff early when it is still covered with heavy dew/condensation. He told me one area in particular and I am going to give it a try Saturday morning if possible, you never know.

I never really thoughtmuch about it but every Friday moring when I wheel my trash can out to the curb my boots are still wet when I get to work an hour later so there is plenty of water there. So that is my new strategy for this week, hunting dew as a water source. HeyI've tried crazier stuff than this, I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who else is trying something new this year?

This year I have 2 "new" things going on. The first is I'm hanging stands in multiple locations so I can get in and get out faster and quieter. I've always mainly hunted from a climber and it is just so easy to just climb up your sticks and sit down. I'll still be using my trusty summit, just hopefully not as much. The second thing is I'm switching from a single pin to a 3 pin sight and will be pushing my range out to 40+. Been practicing and am very confident, hopefully I get a chance to test it out.