Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting fawns

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting fawns

Why would you ever want to shhot a fawn? Unless it was hurt or in pain yes but to kill to be killing is just not right. Not even worth discussing in my book. God luck hunting.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM

I would rather not but then again if its Dec. 31 and I haven't got a deer, some of the corn- and bean-fed fawns up here are getting to be yearling size. You can still tell the difference in their head and body size though.

Anywhoo, if its legal and you have plenty of deer, go for it. I personally, like to not take that shot because it doesn't seem as challenging to me. (This coming from a guy who missed on a nice doe two weeks ago, but my sight really had bumped loose - honestly). And our local deer population is down so I'd like to keep as many of them around for future breeding as I can.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd be doing the herd I hunt an INJUSTICE by passing on a legal female deer.

I won't pass. It'll have to be VERY small for me to pass. I won't take particular pleasure in the process.....but I'll do it. One year ago (actually....less than 1 yr)....I would not have had this outlook. Things change. People get educated.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think a lot of you guys get too fired up over this.
I have shot fawns, and may do so in the future. In many places ANY dead deer is a good one. I think a lot of the recent biological studies have shown to just shoot whatever when it comes to does. Old ones or young ones, it doesn’t matter.

Shooting a fawn isn’t going to ruin the future of hunting, its not going to make you burn in Hades, It’s not going to make you a bad person.
NOT shooting a fawn isn’t going make you a “better” person, it’s not going to better the future of hunting, and it won’t put any meat on your table.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't bring myself to shooting a fawn either ,but I guess if your just looking for some good eating meat and the season's nearing it's end and nothing else is appearing for youthen you got to do what's right for you..
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

What if a new person (new to bowhunting) took his/her first deer ever and it was a fawn? How would you all reply to his/her post about their first deer ever?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree farmcntry!

nubo
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Spike

Well I wouldnt shoot a fawn simply because there are enough deer around here to kill a doe for meat and that is just what I would rather do. However, I dont think shooting a fawn would hurt anything. If it made such an impact on future hunting dont you think conservation would make a law about killing them? Just my opinion.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ericstacy

The meat may be more tender but there is so little on the animal is it worth it?
To each his own and I'm with Rob/Pa boyer and ericstacy. Ijust can't do it and I don't think there's enough meat there tomake it worth doing.If it weren't for those two reasons I still wouldn't, I HATE veal .

Although I wouldn't look down on anyone who does unless it was illegal in the books.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The wifehad a deer processing bussiness a few years back.
This guyturned in a fawn, late Nov rifle season that still had spots on the inside of the hide. Whenhecomes to pick up his meat, and I hand it to him, he said, is that all there is? I said Dude, your deer weighed 32 lbs with the head and skin still on it, after its de-boned how much fricking meat do think your gonna get back?

Oh, a FAWN is this years deer, A FAWN this year is still a FAWN spots or not(you can tell who they are by their short noses, little fuzzy faces, dried up milk on their lips, and they are dumber than dirt), it will be next seasons YEARLING, if they make it through this season, hopefully a little bigger and a little smarter!

Now, I dont care if you shoot fawns, as a matter of fact I encourage Youths and First Timers to shoot what presents itself to them,to build confidence in them selves and their equipment, if they can be, or are proud of their harvest! Ifthey are happy with it, Im happy for them.

Some herd reduction may justify the killing of Fawns when the deer population is so out of control the browse lines are above their heads and are literally starving to death!
If your family is starving to death, I can understand.
Myself I cant justify wasting a 15 dollar tag and a 20 dollar arrow, let alone the cost of my equipment and the price of gasto harvest 20 dollars worth of meat!

As far as killing a fawn because they are so tasty goes, some of the best deer meat I have ever eaten has been mature bucks, and have eaten young deer that tasted just like pine needles. It all depends on where their killed and how the meat is taken care of.

But the meat is so tender, only cuts it with me if you have no teeth. No, as a matter of fact that dont cut it either, getsomeone else in your family to chew it up for you.

I kill fawns to keep them from dying from winter kill and disease .

Like I said, I dont mind hunters killing fawns, I just dont buy some of the excuses they use after they do!

Quick Reply: shooting fawns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.