Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 mitlitary camo or hunting camo >

mitlitary camo or hunting camo

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mitlitary camo or hunting camo

Old 09-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default mitlitary camo or hunting camo

i have always wondered this

i have always been told that hunting camo is far better then the regular army navy camo
if this is true how come the military does not switch to huntingcamo like realtree or mossey oak
Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mitlitary camo or hunting camo

I'm not too sure about the whole camo thing.
I've taken plenty of deer with my bow wearing jeans, rubber boots, and a long sleeve shirt. (Not camo).
Everything I was wearing was washed in scent away, I showered in scent away, and sprayed some scent away on me before entering the woods.

I think they detect smell, then movement. So if you don't stink and you sit still until go time I think you have just as good a chance as someone in $400.00 worth of top name camo.

JMHO
Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM

i tend to agree... plenty of big bucks taken long before camo was even being used... one gun season hunt in Upper WI i was in the woods with a fold up chair, on the ground, no stand, no blind, no camo... wearing a one piece blaze orange insulated suit (not even blaze orange camo) and it was snowing... no scent control, nothing special at all about it... took a 10pt at about 50-60yrds...
Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i have always wondered this

i have always been told that hunting camo is far better then the regular army navy camo
if this is true how come the military does not switch to huntingcamo like realtree or mossey oak
I agree that camo is not necessary to be successful when hunting. I do think that it does helpthough.
The military, nowprimarily uses the digital camo. Patterns made out of computer generated dots or squares. Military camo, such as that used by the Army is not meant to disguise against animalssuch as whitetails in the woods, but for better concealment against humans in varying combat situations, such as the woods, desert, urban and all those in between.
Real Tree camo would look a little silly in Baghdad.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the military you are not trying to blend into the surrounding environment and "disappear" so much as to not stand out and be a big target. Trust me, unless you are moving throught he woods alone, the noise your unit makes eliminates any "hiding " advantage of the camo. The camo just keeps you from being a good target. Think of the Revolutionary war when the British wore those redcoats with the big white X on their chest LOL .
Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A problem with much hunter camo is that it is designed to look good at a range of inches in a store, not yards in the woods. this creates a 'blob' effect. Some leading brands have come out with designs that dont 'blob' at a longer range, and guess what they resemble, what the military has known all along.(now if we were talking turkey hunting, almost the human equvalent of 10x binos, thats another story)I always use BDU style camo, and far more important than any camo at all is sit still.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

i was in the corps for 4 years and the new camies we wear now are outstanding.. battlefeild testing (woodlands and desert) show a significant percentage increase in human form outline breakup with the new digital camies.. not to mention they are 10 times more comfortable to wear.. aswell as more tacticle.. pockets and other items are disgned way better then the older style

like said above, your really trying to break up your form to your soroundings from other human eyes, not animals.. totally different ballgame

i have used my woodland digital cammies to hunt in mild weather before and , when prepared correctly (scent controlled), worked out well.

when you get into the relm of long range operations and 100% stealth, ghilie suits are the only way to party

during combat training, the company CO gave us a demonstration, he had 4 force recon Marines, and 3 force recon snipers full dressed ghilies standing behind him while we was instucting us on battlefield movements, (formations, tactics etc etc) an hour went by , 40 of us couldnt tell that there were 7 Marines scattered behind the CO untill the CO told them to report front and center.

talk about friggen cool!

this year im going to be using my new scentblocker 3D realleaf suit for bow season, time will tell.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

you camo can be really samll gaps it needs to have big gaps and other things nad look sort of diff. from your surrondings to work best but not a lot diff. i hope that makes sense
Old 09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Mossy Oak break-up is the worst I've seen about blobbing at longer ranges.

I loved the Advantage Classic ever since I watched Dad walk away from my stand one morning, and disappear 20 yards away.

My new favorite camo is Realtree AP/APG. And UnderArmour looks sweet in the new digital camo.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:02 PM

im still wearin my camos

Quick Reply: mitlitary camo or hunting camo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.