Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need advice for my son. >

Need advice for my son.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice for my son.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Spike

Default Need advice for my son.

Last year I posted for advice on my son's shooting dilemma. My son is right handed but can't close his left eye while shooting. I was informed that my son and probably me, should shoot with both eyes open. Well, he gets double vision and see's two targets. He has learned which target to aim and does excellent. However, it turns out the target we use has a white background and has a distinct contrast with its background. So, when he goes hunting and the deer blends in with the background, he has problems. Twice now he has completely overshot his target. I won't allow him out in the woods until this is resolved. Suggestions please.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need advice for my son.

Ok I dunno but this came to mind. How about like a pirates eye patch he can pull over his left eye prior too shooting?? It's halloween season you should be able to find something cheap and try it??
Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

have you taken him to the optomatrist? he could have a astigmatism. I have it and didnt realize it till I went to the eye doc, got glasses and whala problem solved. if he has glasses maybe try a differnt site, maybe a one pin site, or even try a red dot scope.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

have him try shooting both eyes open and focus on the TARGET not the pin. look THROUGH the peep and focus on the target. the pin will be there and not as clear becasue it wont be the object your focused on. put it where you want it and send the arrow there. i have an asigmatism and wear contacts. i found that was the best way for me to shoot. my shooting improved alot...in hunting conditions if i close 1 eye and try to shoot i cant see because my peep gets all wierd looking...pretty sure its from the asigmatism. if i have my anchor points right and can see my target and pin, i have to be looking through the peep when shooting both eyes open so i dont have any worries.

going to local 3d shoots and shooting alot in the dark woods helped me learn that...

good luck with your son. surely gotta be a method or something out there that will help...sounds to me like hes focusing on the peep or pin and not the target.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 PM

teach him to shoot left handed ithaca 37 trap shooting he be busy the first week or two with adj. but he should do well after that
Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM

try both eyes i have terrible eye sight and shoot with both eyes open,if that doesnt work try and get him a bow scope or magnified peep,if that doesnt work see if he qualifys for a crossbow with your states regulations call the dnr and explain
Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's probably not shooting with the correct eye. Find out which eye is dominant and that will dictate which havd he shoots with. If you aren't shooting with your dominat eye, you will see two targets when you have both eyes open and for hunting you really want to shoot with both eyes open.

Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 PM

Agree with Mauser06! I am left handed and left I eye dominant, But I shoot bow right handed.
I learned to use both eyes looking at the target. I actually open and close my left eye when aiming
for elevation and with right eye for windage.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Spike

Thank you for all of the suggestions and advice. I need to get this fixed quickly. He was real excited about hunting, but now he seems frustrated. One question,and this may seem really dumb, however it was suggested he may need to shoot lefthanded as opposed to right. Does this mean I purchase a new
bow?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

yep

Quick Reply: Need advice for my son.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.