Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics >

Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

That's a tough deal, BHF. No "easy" answer. I won't judge you either way you go (tonight or tomorrow). I'm just happy I don't have to make the decision you do. I spent one sleepless night already, this year. I don't wish it on anyone.

But if I can't sleep.......I might as well be looking......that's my thought. I don't know what your work situation is......which is a factor, too.

Sorry bro....

GMMAT, Work isn't an issue, I not going!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the advice fellas, I got to try and get a couple hours sleep and go back out and look for her!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:18 PM

yea, I would get some sleep and eat a good breakfast in the morning and be out there first light!

good luck.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck, hope you find her.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Perhaps solid front leg shot or shoulder shot will drop them on the spot and then they regain their momentum. Solid shoulder your hopes are still high.
Yeah, sounds like a should shot...she shouldnt last long
Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the info giving, it sure sounds like a spine. Wasn't there though so I can't say for sure. But if I thought it was though, I would have chased her down. I have seen deer travel a ways with a spine hit, but it's usually as was described here as "plowing".
Old 09-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Don't give up, we're pulling for you. Send us an update when you can.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's the word?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Hopefully you can find her!! Good luck.Stick with it!!!This same thing happened to my dad Saturday night. He wasn't sure where he shot her, found the arrowstuck in a log with blood splattered all over the log. We waited 2 hours and started to track in the dark, theblood trailstarted out good and thenjust dried up.we only got about 100 yards in before the trail got real tuff anour stomachs were growling.
So we went back to eat and came back at about 10pm or so, picked up the trail again and followed it into the REAL thick stuff. Well about 1AM the trail just stopped and we were stuck in one spot for probably close to an hour and a half. I went back to the last spot of blood we had and slowly went forward on my kneeson a straigt path,( for the third time). only this time I was 8 inches from the ground.
Then I just happen to shine the flash light in the direction i was heading, and i see deer hair no more than 6 feet in front of me. Then I see an eye reflecting. She was still alive.. but obviously hurt and ready to die. So my dad and I backed out of there to weigh our options and to let her sit. We couldn't believe we were with in 20 feet of her for at least an hour and she didn't moveor run. While we were talking about what to do, we heard her get up and walk off. Unbelievable. We were shocked. We went back in about an hour later to confirm it was her that moved and the bed was empty.
We went back and decided to let her sit overnight. It was about 54 degrees so it wasn't too bad. We went back the next morning about 8 and picked up the trail and she was within 20 yards of where we found her the night before..Probably the hardest track we have ever made..
She was hit in the liver, but her fat plugged the holes, so that blocked the blood from coming out faster..
Bottom line is dont give up!!
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I found her just before sun up!!!!! She went a long ways!

Quick Reply: Shot a Doe...had to back out!!!!!--Updated--w/Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.