Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Should I Do? >

What Should I Do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Should I Do?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Default RE: What Should I Do?

both of you go hunting any way , and if you get stopped by the game commision tell them , that its retarded to have to wait 2 yrs to go hunting with your 14yr old son that can go by himself , if thats the case why not let a 12 yr old that just got there hunting license go out in the woods with a gun by themselves , duhh it dont make sense . but if you live close to pennsylvania you can purchase a bow and license and go hunting that year during that season together , but if you mean the age where he can hunt by himself its 16 here , however if you dont have a hunters safety course i would advise taking it even though its not manditory , here as long as you have a drivers license or state id card you can purchase a license
Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Wait until you can go with him. If he goes out after school by himself I can see the woods getting lots of stink in them. Take him out weekends or maybe a night or two a week when the weathers right. It depends where you live too. If you're way out in no mans land it's one thing, if suburbia, another. I grew up in rural NY and wasn't allowed to go to the woods by myself with the gun until I was 8.[8D] That was then(55 years ago), this is now. Sharp broadheads, treestands, all sorts of things make it a dangerous place for a newbie to be alone. As far as you having to have had a bow license for 2 years, well that's plain stupid. You're an adult, he's your kid, you passed the hunter safety course. It doesn't say on you license how long you've had one. I don't see som CO checking with Albany to see if dad has had a license for 1 or 2 or 6 years. You've been hunting for years and know the deal.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

NY is sure a pain in the ass. Tell them to kiss yours and hunt out of state. Guy just posted a big buck from Maryland. St. Marys county. I say do some research and head there. It's a big world.

Sorry for your troubles. I really am.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

I know it sucks to make him wait but its something that has to be done. If you stand up for what is right and show him what a responsible, ethical, and most importantly, law abiding hunter is, than he will remember that for the rest of his life. My dad taught me to follow the laws even if I thought they were stupid. And I KNOW that I am a better person (much less a better hunter) because of it. If all hunters acted this way than the anti's would have ALOT less amunition.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: phil_pick

I know it sucks to make him wait but its something that has to be done. If you stand up for what is right and show him what a responsible, ethical, and most importantly, law abiding hunter is, than he will remember that for the rest of his life. My dad taught me to follow the laws even if I thought they were stupid. And I KNOW that I am a better person (much less a better hunter) because of it. If all hunters acted this way than the anti's would have ALOT less amunition.
Your dad did right by you.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Doing the right thing may not always be easy, but it will always be right.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BackwoodsBuck

Doing the right thing may not always be easy, but it will always be right.
Exactly right!!!

This law is ignorant, but it is the law.Ahunter's saftey course I could see, but telling a dad he can't take his son hunting is outright stupid. It sounds like you need to take some action with your wildlife department and legislators to get this changed. We've had alot of luck in our state fixing issues like this. It may take a year, but they often get fixed.Good Luck!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mossyoakhwhunter

both of you go hunting any way , and if you get stopped by the game commision tell them , that its retarded to have to wait 2 yrs to go hunting with your 14yr old son that can go by himself , if thats the case why not let a 12 yr old that just got there hunting license go out in the woods with a gun by themselves , duhh it dont make sense . but if you live close to pennsylvania you can purchase a bow and license and go hunting that year during that season together , but if you mean the age where he can hunt by himself its 16 here , however if you dont have a hunters safety course i would advise taking it even though its not manditory , here as long as you have a drivers license or state id card you can purchase a license
You obviously don't know the laws or undertand what he said. His son cannot hunt by himself at 14, same as PA and HE cannot take his son because he has not held a archery license for 2 years. I'm appauled that you support them breaking the law.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM

If you take him hunting he will remember that more than if he goes by himself. Remember how excited you were when you got your first deer. Imagine the look on his face when he see's thepride on your's. Plus i have to agree with everyone else. If you teach them wrong now you can not teach them right later.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 PM

Ok I guess I'm confused people are saying to take him hunting with you because its not right to break the law? They say you will be teaching him the difference between right and wrong?If you read his post you will see that it is illegal for his son to go with him because he has not had his license for 2 years. For the record I think its a stupid law and I would break it like I said earlier. If I got caught I would pay the price, but I just can't make myself do something I don't believe in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.