Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 thinking about trail cameras, need advise!!! >

thinking about trail cameras, need advise!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thinking about trail cameras, need advise!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: thinking about trail cameras, need advise!!!

For the guys who have the moultrie i40, does the new downloadable software eliminate the whiteouts?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steer away from the moultrie d40. the night pictures are terrible (terrible is an understatement!). If you go with a moultrie try the i40 (that's my next camera). I've tried just about all the popular cameras out there and the only one I have that I'm satisfied with is the stealth i450. it's $139 but you'll need the 12v battery kit ($37). The major problem with this camera is the whiteouts (flash going off when it shouldn't). For some reason about 1/2 of my daytime pics are now whiteouts. I usually get one blackout per week too (flash not going off when it should). I have 2 of the i450's so I like them, just not enough to buy a third.

oh, cuddebacks are severely overpriced. Who do you think ends up paying for all those tv adds?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 PM

so it seems the 4.0 mp's are being recomended here. is that all you guys feel is necisary for a trail cam? what about the 6.0 mp cameras? better? worse?
I said i would try to get $200 but thats not saying I want to spend $200 though guys!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 PM

trail cameras are the way to go i have 4 digitals (moultree) and they all take great pics. at first it was hard for me to leave my cameras out for any longer then a couple days just because i was so excited to see what was on them. but you will learn that the longer you leave it out the more great pics you'll see and the less scent you'll leave in the woods. when decideing on what camera to get, make sure it has time and date! good luck
Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was also really impressed with the I-40. Great cam for the money, especially at $200.00, which
Double-Lung has em for. Strap is the only disappointment, that and make sure that the rubber seal
is back in place before closing.

Game cams are getting so much better. 2 years ago the I-40 would have been a $400.00 cam.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Are you getting one just to see whats out there or for scouting? In my opinion the more cameras you have the better they are for scouting. I picked up three of the $50 wildview cams at Wallmart so I can cover the most area. They aren't top of the line but they sure did the job. I have zero'd in on what trails are used and which ones aren't. Plus if someone steals it, I'm out $65. Heres a few shots.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter
I am using a Moultrie I40 infrared one this year.
Great camera for the $$
I agree with Buellhunter.....although I'm typically sceptical about peoples opinions about stuff they are selling but I have the Moultrie I40 and for $200, I can't think of a better trail cam.

I have one and will buy another one soon.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

With plenty of trail cameras to choose from, I would consider the five big factors when buying a new trail camera: image quality, trigger speed, user-friendliness, cost, and durability.

Other Options To Consider: battery life, built-in flash range, IR flahs,sensing range (some cameras have a sensor that is more wide and others have a sensor that is more narrow but will sense objects farther out), movie capability, night vision,external battery pack?, rechargeable batteries?, solar panel hook up? megapixel upgrade, memory card capacity, mono-pod holder, Laser and IR aim for quick and precise camera set-up, time lapse mode, multi-shot pictures, upgradeable software, barometric pressure, temperature, moon phase, time, date, and onboard viewing of images. As you can see cameras have gotten very advanced since the old 35mm cameras

When deciding on what camera to buy, first and foremost, where is the camera going to be used? Is it going to be over a feeder, food plots, mineral sites, baited sites, or scrapes? Or is it going to be over trails, bottle necks, junction points, rub lines, transition areas, etc? The difference is, you don’t have to a fast trigger speed if you have deer coming in and stopping, if you are going to use the camera for the trail action then fast trigger time is going to be very important (though I believe it can be gotten around if you setup the camera properly)

How much do you care for the sharpness of the pictures? Trail cameras now run from .3 megapixels to 6 megapixels. Also the quality of lens is important because some cameras will have the same number of megapixels, but one camera may take “nicer” pictures than the other. You need to look at different pictures from different cameras and see where you draw the line in the quality of picture you want. (Look at night time and daytime photos)

How good are you with using electronic devices because you will find some trail cameras are easier to operate than others (in setting up and shutting down). Some cameras show you how many pictures they have taken on the front display while others you have to open up to see how many pictures have been taken (just another example of user friendless).

On durability, you want your camera to last more than a season or two so you want the case to be strong to take the beatings of Mother Nature as well as you want the parts to function properly and be reliable for a long time.

I don’t know if you are putting out your camera where it gets real cold in the winter but powering your trail camera can be an issue. Batteries can be costly, but longevity is important when outside temperatures rise and fall dramatically. Although expensive, good batteries are necessary to ensure that your camera works all the time (if you go the rechargeable D battery route get at least a 2500 mah rating) UPDATE[/b] ON BATTERIES (RECHAREABLE ENGERGIZER D BATTERIES WITH 2500 MAH ARE NOT WORTH THE MONEY LASTED ABOUT 300 PITCTURES).

In the summer this is not as big of a deal. At warmer temperatures, cameras can run for a couple months without much concern. When temperatures drop below freezing, that's when you've got to keep a close eye on your power source. Extreme cold winter temperatures can wreak havoc on battery life. Your will find out long battery life is a very important thing to have (even if you do have your camera close by).

Then, decide how much you care about having a camera with infrared flashes. IR cameras collect high-resolution images without fear of a big white flash spooking the game you photograph (I have been impressed with a lot of the new IR pictures). The infrared flash is invisible, yet capable of capturing quality images of game up to around 30 ft (There is a little red light that comes up for a second or two and supposedly can only seen when you are directly in front of the camera and looking at it). Is the camera going to be on public land or somewhere where a neighbor or passing bystander might see it and want to steal it or deep in the woods on your own private property where you never see anyone ever? If you are worried about it being stolen or spooking wildlife, IR may be the way to go, by your camera not flashing and being as noticed by wildlife as well as people. Mount your camera up high andwildlife(I guess people too) wont notice it as much if you go the IR route.

Some people go homebrew (there are ups and downs to homebrew), some people like the high end cameras like Camtrakker or Buckeye cam, and some just want the cheapest ones they can find. Saying that, it all comes down to preference (and what your goals and objectives for the camera are), some people will sway you to this camera while another will say this camera, it’s up to you to decide.

Go to www.chasingame.com to check out pictures and reviews of different cameras.

For me, I would check out the New 07’ Moultrie Line

D40-$100
IR4-$200
IR6-$287