Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

women's scent

Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: women's scent

I'd have to see a more scientific study of the actual chemical makeup of doe hormones vs human hormones. I doubt the two are the same and I'm sure a buck wouldn't be confused by the two. Anecdotal evidence isn't conclusive as there could be any number of factors involved. Like huntinma's experiment: how does she know this wasn't a mock scrape, or that she didn't leave her HUMAN scent in addition to her female scent? I have heard people say that urinating, in general, in a scrape has positive/negative/no effect so which is true? Maybe it's just the urine itself that made the buck leave the scrape cold? Who knows?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: wack

I agree with ericstacy. Badger Girl , great post. Over the years I've seen more deer when I've had a female with me and often wondered how that's possible with all the shampoo's, conditioner's, hair spray , make up, and what ever else is in all those bottles and containers in the bathroom, daisy scented landry stuff ect ect. All things as hunters we've been told to avoid, and yet I can take my daughter, perfume so strong that my eyes water , need to open the truck window, take her hunting and I still see deer!
My question is, is it just the menstral odors or is it actually all the flower like odors from all the girly bathroom and laundry products?
Another theory is mind set. I often wonder how a dog senses when you are angry or agressive? And wonder if deer and other game can sense when you're uneasy or in an intence mind pattern. I can concentrate all day on hunting and not see a thing. When I let my guard down, take my mind off from hunting, bam, deer appear out of no where. Never fails. I've had deer walk up to campfires, while chopping and chain sawing wood, standing in the open and talking with someone, all things that wouldn't and don't happen when I'm hunting. When I'm hunting with a female, my "hunting mind set" isn't nearly as intense. Females have different odors natural and unnatural, I have to wonder if they also give off different vibes than males that may affect game?
If you ever watch the dog whisperer he'd tell you it's all about the energy you project. When I walk my golden retriever down the county road, when I'm trying to be calm and assertive, I get about 2-3 does nearly every walk that cross the county road within 40 yards of us. When I walk by myself, almost never have a doe cross the road in front of me.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM

I was just getting ready to take a bite of my sandwich and I read this thread.... Needless to say the sandwich is in the trash. To answer your question I wouldn't think it would attract game. I would wear a scentlock suit from any company. Since I'm a guy, I use it for guy smells and if it can take care of them, it will certainly mask girl scents.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ericstacy

I want to thank GMMAT for making his statement very early in this discussion. It has certainly taken a course a lot different from what I am sure it would have!
Now, I have been hunting together with my wife for the past 18 years and I can tell you without question (From Experience) it definately attracts deer. I know I don't need details , but it does work as an attractant any time in the season and especially during the rut. Take my word! A film canister will hold all the scent you need.
1) I agree. it works, have a couple of friends who utilize the tactic. I trust tell they tellthe truth and they would know. They state you want to steer ayway from pre-scentedhygene-products as the purfume smell is a bad thing around deer that does not get covered up.

2) why dont I use it if I recommend it? my fiance would shoot me if I asked to borrow....
Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

If you ever watch the dog whisperer he'd tell you it's all about the energy you project.
That's interesting, will have to look that up sometime.
JoeRE um, no, not borrow. Don't think she wants it back. lol
We used to have a female German shepard and she always came in heat the same times every year. When she did, to get her out of the house, I'd take her hunting/ camping. Spring time we'd hunt coyote and better make sure ya got plenty of ammo. lol The fall heat we'd go deer hunting, she'd stay in camp and gaurd the truck and tent and would just climb into her dog kennel and laydown with the door open. If coyotes showed up, she'd lead them right to me. When I shot A doe one time, I called her name, she came running, and helped me track my deer. Twice she's barked a single bark from her kennel and both times deer showed up under my stand from that dirrection a minute later.( I was only 100 yards from camp.) One time she made a big racket, I called her, she came running and had 3 male coyotes on her tail. 3 dead coyotes a few minutes later. Was my 1st with a bow and my 1st and 2nd coyote with my .22 pistol. Elka my dog, had 1 male coyote pinned right under my tree stand and took awhile before I could get a clean shot at that one. She had that one, the .22 just made it quicker.
I think having her on the trips was an advantage for coyote hunting for sure and deer hunting too. I don't think the deer can tell the difference between differt species of urin or menstral odors, think it's all is basically the same. When the urges hit they ignore more of the warning odors that go with the basic odors. Kind of like teen agers tuning out parents.lol My dog didn't smell like a dog. She was always well groomed and bathed, she had her own swimming pool, while hunting I'd spray her with sent away products along with fleet and tic protection. I had a lot of success with her a long and it started out as the wife wanting the dog out of the house durring "that time", if you're going hunting, the dogs going with you! I think I even argued with her saying she's not a hunting dog ect. I lst that aguement.
She'd died this past spring, going to miss her, she's burried at that camp, by that stand and I was there last weekend. Didn't see a thing all weekend.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wack

JoeRE um, no, not borrow. Don't think she wants it back. lol
[8D]yea that was a poor choice of words.