Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 for people with land hours away >

for people with land hours away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

for people with land hours away

Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default for people with land hours away

hey all. i might be getting a lease, which is great, but only thing bad is it is 2.5 hours away. dont get me wrong, im happy to have the possibility of a lease, but i like to hunt alot (especially during the week) where i just get up in the morning and go hunt (which i now do on public land), come home go to work and dont have to make a whole trip out of it. the lease would be for weekend trips including camp fires, drinking beer, the whole 9 yards - like a deer camp ya know. i was wandering how often you guys go to your land that is hours away? would you turn down a lease if it took 2.5 hours to get to? would it still be worth the money and effort to get involved in the lease? i guess i would still hunt public land during the week, but i wish i could have the land closer -but i dont want to be too picky b/c i know i should be happy with any lease b/c i have been trying for years to find a reasonable 1. what do ya think? what would you do in the situation. will be alot of gas money lol, which i guess it the price of having private land. [&:]
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Default RE: for people with land hours away

I can't tell you if it's worth it without seeing the land or knowing the price, but if you've seen it and you like it and you already said that it's reasonable then go ahead and do it. 2.5 hours isn't a bad drive at all. My drive is 4.5 hours, although my job allows me to take weeks at a time and I rarely go up there for any less than 3 nights.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I am looking at leasing land about 4 hours away from me, but it wouldn't be my everyday hunting land anyway. It would be managed and cared for and then hunted in a manner where I expect to take 1-3 deer off of it a year, maximum. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. For me, my "any day" hunting land is in NJ, and I have a few state land parcels I hit which are anywhere for 20 minutes to an hour away, max.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt a place that is just over 3 hours away. I get to hunt the place for free and thats the only reason I hunt it. If I was going to pay for a place I would keep it a lot closer so I can make a quick run to the lease on a weekend for an evening hunt if I wanted to. But thats just cause I also have deer and hogs 10 minutes from my home so I might be just a little spoiled.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

yea. i guess it depends on if there are monster bucks or just a bunch of does lol. i have to call and talk about price, i think he may want a little work done. its on maryland eastern shore in queen annes county. i just would hate toput up money and not get my moneys worth. i guess i could break it down by # of times i would prob. go divided by price to see what each trip would cost me. i duhno, kind of a tough decision. maybe ill ask him if i can hunt it this weekend and see what he says [8D]. lol thanks guys
Old 09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

and its good to know that others travel that far and further to hunt. 2.5 hours is nothing to 4.5 lol. but like he said he only goes a few times. even if i go every other weekend, for what, 4 months or so, maybe it would be worth it. its 103 acres. i could also hunt turkey, waterfowl, everything i beleive. im not sure if there are sika deer or not. i guess we'll see when i call
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Site Bouncer

My families land is 5hrs away and I will get down there (southern Illinois)once ever couple weeks during the hunting season. I have land closer to hunt so it depends on my work schedule sometimes I just hunt around here for a few weeks (after work or just in the morning) at a time. When I go down it's usually for the weekend because while I have done ita fewtimes, 10 hrs of driving is a lot for one day.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a deer camp that is 2+ hours away up in the mountains. Instead of getting up at 3:00 am like so many others do, I usually make a weekend out of it and leave Friday night after work and stay at the camp for the weekend. During the rut, I am fortunate, because I have a lot of vacation days built up and take a whole week or more off.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM

2.5 hours isn't bad at all. i have the same drive to my place. leave on friday come back sunday.I do it every weekend.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

That's my thing, why I am willing to drive further. I take about 3 weeks vacation during hunting season every year, one in each month: sep, oct, nov. Plus, I get 3 day weekends every other week due to the schedule I work.

So I guess the answer is that it all depends on what works for you.

Quick Reply: for people with land hours away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.