Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this legal?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this legal?

Is it legal to shoot a buck in full velvet in wisconsin right now?? I think that'd be a pretty cool mount since its unique and all...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Is this legal?

I think if season is open, it will be legal in most places. Just check the DNR regs.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

I didnt know there was a law against shooting bucks in velvet. If anyone knows the answer let me know for Illinois as well. Even though most bucks have their velvet long gone before October 1st. RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER BY THE WAY!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

the WI regs dont say anything about bucks in velvet....my friends dad has one mounted from WI...couple years old though
Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

I wish the bucks in Texas would keep their velvet a little longer. Sept. 29 is opening day and all the game cam pics I have so farhave no velvet in sight.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty sure a velveted buck is legal.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM

i know they're legal in GA. if you do kill one try not to knick the velvet too much.if it's too bad the taxidermist won't be able to keep it on.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt there is a single state that mandates anything about the velvet. If the season is open, it's open. Other than antler sized ie restrictions and spikes, no other law mandates antlers is there?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Directly from the Wi DNR Regs:

[align=left]It is illegal to:[/align][align=left]• sell, purchase, barter, or offer to sell, purchase or barter any deer or deer part[/align][align=left]thereof except: the head, skin not in spotted coat, and antlers not in velvet of any[/align][align=left]deer lawfully killed, when severed from the rest of the carcass.[/align][align=left]• possess a deer with broken or removed antlers in an EAB deer management unit[/align][align=left]or during an antlerless only deer season, which makes determination of legality[/align][align=left]impossible.[/align][align=left]• possess a deer carcass unless tagged and registered as required.[/align][align=left]• possess deer antlers in velvet, spotted hides, albino or white deer which are entirely[/align][align=left]white except the hooves, tarsal glands, heads and parts of the head, unless special[/align]written authorization is obtained from the department.

[align=left]Note: Deer with antlers in velvet or in spotted coat may be harvested during the[/align][align=left]open deer season, however, to keep the antlers or spotted hide the hunter must[/align][align=left]contact a Warden within 7 days of tagging the deer and request written authorization.[/align][align=left]The spotted hide and velvet antlers may not be sold or transferred to another[/align][align=left]person. Albino and white deer may not be harvested without prior written authorization[/align][align=left]from the DNR (albino and white deer may be harvested and possessed in the[/align]CWD DEZ

edited to add the link to hunting regs...I always tak them with me to read in my stand when i am not seeing anything!
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/deer07.pdf
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 PM

ive personally never heard of any velvet regulations any where

Quick Reply: Is this legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.