Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 when to look for rublines >

when to look for rublines

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

when to look for rublines

Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

Default when to look for rublines

i live in central NC and ive been doing ALOT of scouting by sitting at the edge of fields to see what deer are in which fields in the afternoons. ive been seeing alot of bucks and 5 are shooters and 1 is prob about a 130-140 class deer that i was able to get on video. my question is when should i move in to the woods back there to find their trails? and theres so many deer thats why i want to find rub lines and hunt that leading to the field.

WHEN should i start looking for rub lines? can i look this afternoon?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: when to look for rublines

Tommy,
It all depends on you and how you’re going to hunt this land. No real right answers. For instance, one of my best spots is in a funnel on a pretty small piece of property. There is no use scouting this area since I can’t hunt the beds, or the food sources. So I go in there once a year and maintain the permanent stand. Anymore than that would just risk leaving scent behind.
On the other hand, if this property is really big you definitely need to get in there and figure out a plan. You should know the trails, which way the wind is most likely going to be traveling and where you’re going to hunt and during what hours. Only way to do that is to go in there and see. But I’d try to go in when you know they won’t be there and I’d be as scent free as possible, just as if you were hunting. Try to gather as much info as you can so that you don’t need to go back.
I’d also recommend not simply picking a trail and sitting by it. Pick a place if one exists where trails come together, and for a good reason. Like the woods get narrow or something. Something that forces them to you with out them knowing it, a “funnel”.
Good luck,
KP
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Like KP....I don't go in any more than is absolutely necessary. The deer don't know if you're scouting or hunting them. No difference, to them.....they just know you're there.

I don't hunt "sign" either. I hunt where the does are. Sooner or later .....thats where the bucks will be, anyway.

Just my .02
Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

About a month ago!