Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Need help!

I am new to bow hunting so I have some questions. I have went seven times and only once have I had a deer come out near me only to have it run off by my aunt on a 4 wheeler. I have several good looking spots to hunt but so far no luck at all. Could I be leaving to much of a scent trail? I am bathing with scent shampoo and body wash and I am practically bathing in scent spray and still nothing. The deer do come out but it is always after dark and always where I am not hunting. Any suggestions? I have hunted two different stands and a ground blind. My husband tells me to keep at it but I am not even seeing or hearing them.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need help!

Welcome to the forums! Be patient, if the deer are there chances are you'll get your chance. If you are cautious about how much scent you are leaving behind, I would say keep an eye on the wind. No matter how careful you are if the deer are down wind you will get busted. Also limit the amount of movement on stand. They have great eyes and will bust a fidgity hunter.
Keep at it and read all you can here. This site is a treasure trove of info! Good luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM

theres only about a thousand things that could go wrong. even the hunters that do everthing perfectly could still not see deer. so dont get discouraged. some very basic things (im not trying to "insult your inteligence") would be wind, walking in queitly, sitting still, camo darkness/lightness (if your wearing something very dark like mossy oak, in a very open field, you dont blend in) if your hands and face are exposed, sometimes they can see that along ways away. like i said there are NUMEROUS things that can either make or break a hunt. thats why hunting is so addictive - its like natures chess - every move has to be just right in order to "win". another thing is the deers feeding pattern might not be "condusive" to your hunting schedule. just wait for rut, that time of year bucks usually get a little love drunk and dont care as much about the little things. like i said just dont get discouraged - the harder the game - the sweeter the victory
Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums , like the journeyman said keep the wind in your face , sit still as possiable and you might want to try some attractive sents to lure them in.
This early in the season I would use some doe pee or maybe Trails End by WildLife Reshearch and Deer Dander from Team Fitzgerald.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 AM

Welcome to the forum. Try not to get discouraged. Before last season, I went two or three seasons without even drawing my bow back. Keep at it, it will happen.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer are not coming out until dark? Welcome to early season hunting For the most part, deer have become relatively nocternal due to the hunting pressure that has been put on them over the years. Your best chances during the early season are going to be at first and last light. You stand locations for this time of year shoudl generally be between bedding areas and feeding areas since it is food that is on their minds this time of year. Good luck and relax, it is not supposed to be easy.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 AM

like everyone else said keep at it, it will happen if the deer are there. good luck
Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd hunt his stand![8D]
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a general idea where there coming on and off the field, set your stand in the woods 100 yards or so on one of the trails that their using, catch them before they come into the field to feed! They will hold up in these areas(staging areas) and wait until its dark enough or feel safe to come out in the open fields! Don't be afraid to move your stand if needed, even if its only 20 yards or so! Good luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:48 AM

keep at it and you will get your chance! Just don't get discouraged!! That happens easily with bowhunting.

You will learn through time!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.