Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long to wait b4 hunting again? >

How long to wait b4 hunting again?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long to wait b4 hunting again?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 AM
vte

Default RE: How long to wait b4 hunting again?

I searched for several hours yesterday and still found nothing. I am going to agree with my husband that it must have been a shot to a bone in the front shoulder/leg. I guess Outdoorslover and myself will just have to pray that both our deer make a good recovery.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Yep, unfortunately that is all we can do....
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

You prob. hit the doe in the brisket. Tallow is a good indication of this. Brisket hit deer almost always make it.
ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I had a very similar experience this past weekend. I shot a doe about 30 minutes before dark and thought I had a great shot. I shot and heard a thump, and then saw the deer almost fall over right there, then she just walked off. I tried to get another shot but I wasn't quick enough. I thought I saw her go down about 40 yards away. I got down in about 15 minutes and went to the arrow. There was no blood on it so I almost gave up, but then I noticed blood--nice blood on the broadhead. There was also white stuff on the broadhead--whichI concluded immediately was tallow. It was too dark out and I didn't have a good light so I opted to come back in a while. On the way out of the woods, I came across another hunterwho had shot a deer(accidentally) in the head and was having a difficult time tracking it. I helped him and a couple guys track it for a couple hours and we finally came out in a field in the direction of my stand. As we were shining lights in the field, we saw a doe limping around, apparently hurt in the shoulder area. We came to the conclusion it was my deer, since the other hunter had shot a buck. There was nothing we could do that night, since the deer could still walk and even run if necessary. So, we gave up tracking that night.

The next day, a friend and I went back to the field and scoured for my doe. It was not there so we searched the woods, where 4 wheelers had scared it the previous night, for several hours. It was basically a blind search since the deer dropped no blood we were aware of. After a couple hours of that, we went back to point A and looked for blood where I shot it. I looked for another hour or more for any drops but couldn't find any, even when I followed the path the deer had run after the hit.

My conclusion is that I definetely had a shoulder hitbecause of the lack of blood on the arrow(lack of penetration) and the fact that the deer was limping so horribly. Furthermore, I believe I hit the brisket because that is the only area there with tallow. I am almost sure the wound was superficial and it would have been an impossible tracking endeavor. Nevertheless, I gave it several hours of decent searching soI don't feel like I gave up.

You should at leat give it a few more hours searching before giving up. The way you say that deer kicked convinces me that it was a good hit and you may have hit the heart because of the amount of blood on the arrow. Don't give up!!!!

I will be going out and huntingf the same stand today. I gave it three dyas wait and it has rained so I'm sure it will be fine. I did get picked off by deer but I hope all is forgotten. Either way, there are more deer out there.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I take it that you are a woman hunter. The husband comment gave it away. I think you have done all that you can. The important thing is you didn't give up on the tracking. I'm not sure what you pull for poundage, but try and get your kinetic energy up to or close to 40 pounds per square inch. There are a lot of web sights that have a kinetic energy calculator on them, just put in your draw weight and aroww weight and it will give you your kinetic energy. Don't let the missed shot bother you to much. It has happened to us all. Good Luck the rest of the year. PS get yourself a cheap sling shot and pull it while your watching TV ext... it will help you build your archery muscles.
ORIGINAL: vte

I searched for several hours yesterday and still found nothing. I am going to agree with my husband that it must have been a shot to a bone in the front shoulder/leg. I guess Outdoorslover and myself will just have to pray that both our deer make a good recovery.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 AM
vte

ORIGINAL: willyd5

Don't let the missed shot bother you to much. It has happened to us all. Good Luck the rest of the year. PS get yourself a cheap sling shot and pull it while your watching TV ext... it will help you build your archery muscles.
Yes, I am a petite female. I have shot my bow through a chronograph but can not remember at this moment what the results were, but both my husband and the Pro-shop were pleased with it. I have weighed all of my arrows, broadheads, and field tips to ensure consistency, but that information I would have to look up again as well. I pull 41 pounds at 27".
I don't get the chance to watch TV and relax much, but I will try to find some time to incorporate the sling shot idea. I would never have thought to do that.Thanks for the suggestion!!

Thank you for your comments as well!

This is why I love this forum. It is the ONLY place I can go and be treated like one of the guys when it comes to archery or bowhunting.