Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who's packin' heat while bowhunting? >

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bow in hand and gun on my side
24.32%
Always packing heat; no matter what
23.65%
Gun stays in the house
52.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 AM

Default RE: Who's packing' heat while bow hunting?

In PA, I believe it is illegal to have a handgun during archery season. With all the talk of Mountain lions and the growing bear population, maybe the PGC will overturn that law.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

No can do, it's against the law.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

My take is, if you're that afraid to be in the woods..you shouldn't be there with any weapon!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

PA just passed it this year. come next year, i will be 21 and will be carrying. maybe im just paranoid...but i rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

look at the guys that found dope and other things in the woods over the past couple weeks. what happens when you walk up on that and them people are THERE. you scare them, they are armed and rather kill you than let you get back to town...what are you gunna do with a bow faced against guns?

i just rather not be in that situation. i hunt alot in the deep woods. places alot of people around here dont seem to venture. perfect places for people trying to hide. perfect place for some bum to try to mug me or hijack me as i get into my truck after dark.

just MY thinking...i much rather never ever need it...but, i will have it if that time ever arises
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

mine is my best friend. Bersa .380 I carry it everywhere the way the world is today I will go down protecting my kids if i have to. I never took it out bow hunting with me. I carry it while hiking with the kids and fishing stuff like that!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 AM

I personally don't, but my father does almost anytime we're in the woods. There's a lot of crazy people hunting the public land where we hunt, and you can never be too careful.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 AM
bigcountry

I try to go for light as possible these days. There's nothing to be scared of out there. People worry too much

Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM

I would choose option 2 but the "no matter what" isn't true. If it is illegal, then I don't. Thankfully, the area I am hunting in archery allows you to carry a pistol if you have a concealed weapons license...so I will be packing heat...just in case.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

I personally don't, but my father does almost anytime we're in the woods. There's a lot of crazy people hunting the public land where we hunt, and you can never be too careful.
wasn't to far from you where that hmong hunter got in someone elses stand killed that guy (intentionally) about 2-3yrs back... sometimes its not the animals in the woods that you worry about... sometimes it is just common sense...... folks that hunt areas where there are other dangerous game like bear, mt lion/panther, etc. have good reason to pack... after all, its pretty easy to get caught up concentrating on your prey that you may not notice the other predators looking at you as their prey...

related story, a few years back when i was snowmobiling the northwood of WI my sled broke down around 7pm about a mile or so from the trail head so I walked out to the last road crossing and when I got there a small pack of about 3 wolves had been following me out around 30yds behind, lucky for me there was a light pole at the crossing and the wolves stayed right on the edge of the light circle... i had no weapon or means to protect myself... after about 15 minutes i was able to flag down some other riders and they gave me a ride to the next town so I could get back with my riding buds (i was bringin up the rear of the pack)... how much longer would it have taken for the wolves to make a move??? it made me paranoid ever since...
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 AM

Affirmative, Itote my Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm most places I go and especially hunting. I generally see a few large bear each year so that's enough to keep me toting the heat plus you never know what or who is lurking in the woods. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'd say it's in my waistline 80% of the time. That's a nice looking piece you have there, I bet it's fun to shoot.

Quick Reply: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.