HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ever had a squirrel jump on ya?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/207463-ever-had-squirrel-jump-ya.html)

WesternMdHardwoods 09-17-2007 08:39 PM

Ever had a squirrel jump on ya??

I have never had one actually jump on me but i have had some close ones! I had a grey squirrel a footabove my head in my treestand tonight, so I gotthinkin wonder how many of you guys have ever had one jump onyou oryour treestand? What kinda reaction did you or the squirrel have?

I seen the squirrel coming down the tree today but if I didnt im sure it would have flipped me out!! Haha sorry for the stupid question, just figured someone has something funny to share!!

my7pointmonster 09-17-2007 08:41 PM

RE: Ever had a squirrel jump on ya??

I had one sit on my platform with me my heart was poundin, idk why just a rush of wow im really doing this cammo deal well, I was in the Y of a tree on a piece of 4x4 and plywood haha so there was plenty of room for the two of us, he ate his nut and then went up the tree last i saw of him after that.

Ryan.

buckmaster 09-17-2007 08:41 PM

no but my buddy had one crawlin up his gun barrel one time.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-17-2007 08:43 PM

Sorry I had to edit your post, I couldn't read it..lol

I only had squirrel jump on me once. It was when I was a teenager and hunted on the ground. I was standing next to a tree, the squirrel came around the tree and grabbed my leg by mistake. I jumped, it jumped...lol I laughed afterwards...

And for GregH, I was wearing military Army camo bdu pants and a Trebark shirt. :)

passthru79 09-17-2007 08:45 PM

Ive had them come down the tree right next to my face maybe 6inches to a foot away, I just pray the whole time that clusters doesnt jump on my face. I did have one brush the back of my neck when I was sitting against a log one time, little to close for me. I much prefer to keep them at least at arm length, helps keep the butt from puckering too much.;)

childers 09-18-2007 05:05 AM

i had one jump on me when i was riding a motor scooter one time. it freaked me out

iowabob85 09-18-2007 05:26 AM

Had one come down my tree one time crawled onto the platform and then decided to sit on my foot for about 5 minutes. I couldn't take it anymore because was worried he was gonna crawl up my bibs so I kicked my foot and he landed on the ground about 10 foot from the base of my tree. That little bugger got so mad he came back up the tree next to me and jumped back into the tree with me and crawled down to about 2 feet above my head and barked at me for 10 minutes. I tried to whack him with my arrow and he decided that was enough for him and went off a couple trees and sat there and barked at me forever at least it seemed like it.

george_s 09-18-2007 05:30 AM

i had one climb right up past my shoulder. i also had a raccoon start climbing my tree. i had to make some movement to get him to climb down.

RDHunter 09-18-2007 05:51 AM

Though out all the years of hunting , I've always had at least one animal walk , sit , land or crawled on me while I was in stand or blind.
I figured it was God's way to keep me awake and alert , I also thought it was his way to keep me company and not lonely.

mauser06 09-18-2007 06:18 AM

last year i had a red hawk that would hunt mostly every evening with me. he kept the chipmunks in check:D his flight path was right by the tree i hunted from. one night his wing tips about hit me in the face. awesome birds...

last year i was doing i Wood Duck project for ecology class..or maybe wildlife management class. but the landowner i was working with had some boxes hung and needed cleaned and rehung in better locations. we load up his Gator 4x4 with a ladder and that kinda stuff and head out to the boxes. im up on a 10ft ladder...its THE WORST ladder ive ever been on. flimsy as heck...i think it was a homeade job. i really wished i wore my saftey harness:eek: but im reaching to untie the cable he tied the box up with....box starts makin noise...a grey squirrel EXPLODES out in my face. tail smacks me in the face and it scurries up the tree. somehow i manage NOT to fall out of the tree. im screaming like a girl. didnt even realize what happened at first. ok..there cant be more than 1 squrriel in there. go back to business and number 2 jumps out...i scream again. land owner is on the ground DYING. hes an old timer...funnier than heck...he found that plain out histerical.

heres the box...

amazing how much leaves they had packed into that thing. it was pack TIGHT. i dont know how 2 of them fit in there....bottom was full of acorns...it was amazing how much leaves were in that thing

the rest of the boxes were full of hornet or wasp nests...good thing it was the dead of winter:eek: