Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever had a squirrel jump on ya?? >

Ever had a squirrel jump on ya??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever had a squirrel jump on ya??

Old 09-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ever had a squirrel jump on ya??

I've had chipmunks jump on my boot and squirrels come close in a tree. I've had a hawk think I was something else and came after me until I waved and yelled. I've had a bird land on my knocked arrow.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll make a long story short... The closest I've ever got to an animal (while hunting) was when I was 12. I was turkey hunting the early morning, sitting on the edge of a field. This gobbler was gobblin and struttin away, and wouldnt come down to me. I was calling like crazy and he just wouldn't budge. There were a couple branches that the turkey walked behind and blocked my view of him. So I crawled on the edge of the field and stuck my head out to see if I could spot him. I heard a "putt," turned my head and there stood 3 jakes no more than 5-6 feet away. That's one of the many times my heart has skipped a beat. I took my arm and started feeling around for my gun, and they knew somethin was up. 2 of em trotted off, and one them flew off across the field. I'm guessing the gobbler caught wind of the situation... I never saw him again.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM

i have had them really close but the coolest thing was one time i seen one miss the brach he jumped 4 and fell about 30 feet to the ground,he hit the ground and didnt move i couldnt beleive what i saw,he laid motionless for about 20 mins than got up and ran away
Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha guys!! Some good stories there, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 PM

No squirrels, I had a woodpecker land on my head once, no way was I letting that little bugger poke at my head.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had them little S.O.B.'s at the top of my head a few times while on stand!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Never had one jump on me...but I had one come across the same branch that ran about 5 inches away from the platform of my stand ever night I was out there. The first time he came up the branch...I just sat motionless and he kinda stpped like..what the hell is that big lump?? Then he scurried across it. After the first time he just came along like nothing was different.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kicked a porcupine once when getting outta my stand in MI, had a grey fox climb the next tree and climb out a limb 10' in front of me, had a doe kick my shoe in PA, had an owl land on the limb beside my head, birds so close you could see them blink/ see them breath/ almost see their heatbeat, squirrel run over my leg, raccoon smell my boot.... you can't get those memories sitting in the recliner. Almost forgot the red fox (2) in PA that came within spitting distance. 3 weeks ago had a bear directly below me at 8 ft in Alberta. Life is good.....
Old 09-18-2007, 07:33 PM

thats why i keep a little semi pellet gun in my treestand bag, just incase those bastards come lurking at me.

You know how it is when your in a tree from sunrise to about 10oclock and you aint seen or heard anything and all you do is keep looking left and right and hearing those dame squerills running in the leaves. Well........... yeah