Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anatomy of my doe shot 9/16/07 >

Anatomy of my doe shot 9/16/07

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anatomy of my doe shot 9/16/07

Old 09-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Bartender

Default Anatomy of my doe shot 9/16/07

First pic will be deer facing left where my entry hole is and second pic is opposite side where my arrow exited.
This is about my deer that I shot last night and then found bedded still alive and chose to go back this morning where I found her.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2324016

This shot was 12 yardsand it was broadside and only way I can see that arrow went the way it did was deflect. I will also post a pic I took about 2 hours from my stand that happen to be the exact spot I shot her.
Red X was the doe killed and yellow X is where I had my pin on the big does head but she smelled where I stepped and turned back around to the right around that bush.
I do believe and last years buck and this years deer when I shoot I am not watching that arrow hit and instead trying to see where I hit that deer and where it is going way causing me pull away from the bow when I shoot but not sure.[:@]

Old 09-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anatomy of my doe shot 9/16/07

Getting that kind of deflection through flesh would be interesting to say the least. Is there any reason you do not think she could have turned as you shot? I have shot at a doe at 20 yards that literally turned 90 degrees before the arrow got to her. Luckily it still got her down quickly, but these buggers are faster than cats!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Bartender

That is possible but after the shot I do remember her hawling butt straight to the left and humped just a little bit. But that could be and I know I have to keep that pin on her until i see that entry. Some reason last 2 years that has been a struggle.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The more deer that you see get shot, the stranger things you will experience about them. NOTHING suprises me anymore.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your entrance was great although it could have been a smidge lower, and if she flinched and turned at the shot there is nothing you can do about that. Just one of those things man. You did the best anyone else could have done. Congrats on getting her. I bet that was a relief. Was the meat spoiled at all?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Bartender

Meat is all good and in the cooler. Actually before I went out I asked my uncle who lives on the farm if I get doe you want her. Of course he took her. Were taking what is left of last years meat and this doe in for sausage.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you found her man!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Angles are very funny things. They are not what you first think they are. Did the arrow catch a rib? That can be enough for a deflection suprizingly. A deer I took last year clearly showed my arrow skidding at least 4 inches UP a rip before it hit the spine (w/close to 70flbs of KE), and that was with a significant downward angle on impact.

sometime you just have to scratch your head, and be glad of a happy ending!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Bartender

I just found a pic I took with my cell phone and its a lot farther back then what I stated above on the first pic. [:@]The exit wound is correct.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I had almost the exact thing happen to me a couple year ago on a 15 yard doe shot..............I thought I drilled her. My entry was just a little left of yours. But I didn't have a pass through. Well I found her dead only about 80 yards away. The arrow actually came out her belly as she ran. I'm still not sure what happend.......I stopped shooting expendables after that performance!

Quick Reply: Anatomy of my doe shot 9/16/07

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.