Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will deer cross a river? >

Will deer cross a river?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will deer cross a river?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will deer cross a river?

I can definitely attest to the fact that they will cross/swim a river. I used to hunt just off the edge of a river as the does and yearlings would cross the bridge every morning and every evening. The bucks swam the river 10-80 yards downwind. The bucks never used the bridge.
Never shot one there as some guy claimed that the crown land was his and insisted on standing and talking/threatening/yelling at me while I was in my stand. I don't hunt there anymore, as I took my stand down that morning and haven't been back. I hunt for the peace and quiet, not to hang around idiots. I could stay in the city for that...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, deer will cross rivers.

I saw about 25 deer swimming across Lake Springfield years ago when I was leaving Bass Pro.

I also hunt an island back home in the middle of Lake Dardanelle. Deer swim back and forth from it and to it for cover.

Deer are actually pretty decent swimmers. Unless it's the Mississippi or some other huge roaring river, most deer won't think twice about crossing it.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:28 PM

in dog hunting country they love the rivers. theres a piece of property i hunt in viginia thats surrounded by hunt clubs who run deer dogs in gun season. if you sit on the river you will see more deer than in the woods! they just jump in and take a ride to a new spot when they are tired of being chased i guess.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: FroMan

Yes, deer will cross rivers.

I saw about 25 deer swimming across Lake Springfield years ago when I was leaving Bass Pro.

I also hunt an island back home in the middle of Lake Dardanelle. Deer swim back and forth from it and to it for cover.

Deer are actually pretty decent swimmers. Unless it's the Mississippi or some other huge roaring river, most deer won't think twice about crossing it.
Here is a pick of deer swimming across lake springfield in MO.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Absolutely!!! If you get the time walk the entire shoreline of the river that is ontheproperty you huntand look for some consistantlyshallow andnarrowareas thatwould be easiest for the deer to cross the riveron a routine basis. Look for tracks coming in and out of the waterand you have yourself a sweet stand location come the rut! More B&C and P&Y class deer are harvested from creek/river bottom settings than any other type of environment in field. As opposed to fence rows, in the middle of a "big woods", overlooking a field, ect...'''

However, pieceof advice,sitting in a stand,bya river, with rushing water,forhours at a time, will make you want topee every five minutes so make sure you limit your drinking while in the stand anduse the restroombeforeyou start your hunt!!!Other than that you'll be in for a real treat!!!

Good luck!

This is my 2006 Buck with the river in the background