Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How accurate do you feel you should be? >

How accurate do you feel you should be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How accurate do you feel you should be?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How accurate do you feel you should be?

7/16" if the groups bigger than than its definately too far.

Honesty, besides depending much on hunting conditions, I expect my first arrow (often the furthest off if you are cold, cramped etc) to hit within about a 3" circle. I practice under all conditions, under good conditions I can achieve this at 40 yards, under poor, less than 30. (try hitting a 3" circle with a broadheadin a20 mphcrosswind and you know what I mean). the reason for the safety factor highlighted by many others IS important. Try hitting that pie plate with four layers on, shivering, cold muscles, twisted half around a tree, at a 30 deg angle of depression, knowing you may have 3 seconds to do it when the deer stops....and thats not even accounting for the deer fever
Old 09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Yep, gr8 nailed it... I've come to accept the 1" rule for every 10 yards as being fairly proficient, e.g., 1" groups at 10 yards, 2" groups at 20 yards, 3" groups at 30 yards, etc.

Can you go hunting and be "proficient" with less? Sure. Most of the guys I hunt around can't come anywhere close to this standard... but that's what I aim for, and can maintain pretty well.
I agree but I tend to hold myself to a higher degree as I am my biggest competitor. I'm not happy if it isn't 2" at 40 yards and even 50 at times.
Holly cow Rob 2" at 50. I can't hit 2' at 50. but I will never shoot a deer at 50. I know my limitations.[/blockquote]
Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

If I can keep my arows in a 4x4" circleI feel confident about going hunting. I can usually keep my arows with in milimeters if not touching very consistantly, but I have flung alot of arrows this year.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personaly if I cant consistantly hit something the size of a softball I want shoot at a deer that far. This is my wifes first year deer hunting. She is a pretty good shot but the hole 1 inch per 10 yards is a little out of her league at the moment. Yeah sure, for the real experienced ones that rule may apply but what about the women and kids out there hunting. My wife is pretty consistent hitting a 4 or 5 inch circle at 30 and about a 6 inch one at fourty. I personaly think thats plenty good for her. As a general rule I would say hitting something half the size of the kill zone is plenty good. For instance, a 12inch killzone on a deer you should at least be able to hit something thats a 6inch circle. That way you can double your margin of error and still be ok.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Yep, gr8 nailed it... I've come to accept the 1" rule for every 10 yards as being fairly proficient, e.g., 1" groups at 10 yards, 2" groups at 20 yards, 3" groups at 30 yards, etc.

Can you go hunting and be "proficient" with less? Sure. Most of the guys I hunt around can't come anywhere close to this standard... but that's what I aim for, and can maintain pretty well.
I agree but I tend to hold myself to a higher degree as I am my biggest competitor. I'm not happy if it isn't 2" at 40 yards and even 50 at times.
Holly cow Rob 2" at 50. I can't hit 2' at 50. but I will never shoot a deer at 50. I know my limitations.[/blockquote]
stand, I'm my biggest competitor, when I shoot I am not happy unless all arrows are in the small black dot of my Morrell, and that's what a 2, 2.5" circle. Here's my last group at 40 yards when I first sighted in and did my review of the Viper Predator Pro MT. At this link. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1577393

Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Golf ball @ 20, tennis ball @ 30, soft ball @ 40 consistantly.

Know your limits.

If the animal is beyond your limit, there will be another day.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM

3 inches at 20 yards.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
[/align]Nice group Rob,but 80 yard plastic buckets are terrified of ME. [/blockquote]
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 PM

I would say three to four inches would have to max for "good" hunting. But that is with no "flyer's" at all! If you shoot and get "flyer's" from time to time you need to figure out what is wrong so you don't have a flyer at the time of the hunt.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

standsleeper, I also know my buddy Rob... and I'm sure he's like me: Just because we PRACTICE at 50 doesn't mean we'll take a shot at a live deer at 50. Practicing at 50 though makes our 20-yard shots seem like gimmes.

I've shot EXTENSIVELY at 50 this year, and it's amazing how big a 2" circle on my Morrell bag looks at 20.

Quick Reply: How accurate do you feel you should be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.