Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think... >

Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Did you find her? I know you learned a lot from this experience. It's always best to err on the side of caution to avoid bumping them and the tell tale sign here was the fact that you identified the blood as probably liver or a muscle hit. In these situations you have no choice but to back out early and wait the6-12 hrs. it might take for her to expire. How did your arrow look, maybe you didn't find it, which in itself is a real important part of the puzzle. This is a perfect scenario for an organization like Deersearch, inc. (N.Y. and some surrounding states) or United Blood Trackers-check their website and click on the "find a tracker" link to see if there's one available in your state/area. Most of us work for gratis and we just want to get out and work our dogs. BTW-What type of BH do you shoot? Pls. let us know what happened. We'll all learn something.

Dan

[/align]
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that, I hope you find her!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 AM

Find him as soon as you can! I already let a nice buck go over night, and the next morning the only thing I found was the gut pile, and the persons hat.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

TAKE YOUR WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND OUT WITH YA.WOMEN MAKE THE BEST TRACKERS BECAUSE OF THIER ATTENTION TO DETAIL...REALLY THEY DO.
HOPE YOU FIND YOUR DEER....gutt shot Hmmm.....It happens...
Old 09-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Well I found her about 8am and it wasn't good. The varmits beat me to her. I hate it so much it makes me sick. I feel I have let everyone down including myself and the deer. Next time I will wait alot longer before tracking. I have learn a very hard lesson.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigcountry25, the good news is you did find her, the sad news is the critters will eat good, nothing will go to waste and you learned a little something along the way. If I may, there is some good reading at the top of the page regarding recovery and what to do after the shot. With in that entire thread there is great advice from many of your fellow bowhunters here. You might pick up a couple things that may aid you in the future. I know after 26 seasons every year I pick up some tidbits of information too. I try to learn all I can to aid in this passion.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

BC25, Don't beat yourself up over it. You actually did very well to find her. Critters and esp. coyotes always enter the decision making process we all use after we make a shot and the ensuing decision to track or not. The next time a coyote sneaks by your stand "shoot the SOB" and get even. lol Any chance you might add a lighted nock to your setup? Get back on that horse and go shoot another one!!!

Dan

[/align]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I am gettin' back on the horse this evening a little smarter than I was yesterday and a big bonus for me this evening is that I get to take my 14 year old son bowhunting for the first time!! Pretty pumped about that!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Learning to track properly and wait after the shot is a hard learning experience for everyone. I think it takes everyone a experience like yours to learn from and become better trackers in the end. I had my experience with a nice eight I shot a few years back. Spent alot of time the next day trying to find him. If I had just gave him a little more time it would have been a easy track, but because I was anxious and pushed it took about four hours the next day to find him. As long as you gained from this you had a successful hunt IMO!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

You did all you could so dont feel to bad it happens

Quick Reply: Shot a doe tonight but Had to stop tracking do you think...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.