Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using a climber

Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Using a climber

I have a Gorilla Wolverine climber I got for $30 on clearance last year. It's a climbing stand and was $30, I couldn't pass it up. I've tried it out once and it seemed uncomfortable trying to climb with it.....just something new and different I guess. I know to adjust my cables around the tree and tilt the stand up at the bottom so that it levels out as the tree gets smaller.

My question is about adjustment once you get to hunting height. My stand has a ratchet strap on the top part and one on the bottom part. It's completely uncomfortable to bend down and attempt to put it around the tree on the bottom part, the top part is a little easier but it's still odd trying to do. Do you guys who use climbers, mine has coated cables, use straps to tighten the stand on the tree before you sit in it? Or, do you just climb to height, level both platforms and the stand stays in place with the pressure that's on the cables?

Any help would be appreciated here. I'm no idiot, so common sense and caution are what I'm depending on to keep me from swinging from a harness 20ft up a tree. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Using a climber

I use an Ol'man climber. Once at my desired height I simply kneel down and attach the strap that comes around the front of the tree for security. It's got a snap on a nylon strap. I then stand and move the mesh seat forward and attach that strap on the seat/climber, sit my back pack on the seat, attach my hanging strap, hang my calls, put on my rangefinder and binos, hang my backpack, pull up my bow, place the bow on the holder attached to my stand, put away my rope and sit down to relax and wait.

Sometimes in there I dress before sitting if I carried in clothes.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an API grandslam bowhunter that has a ratchet strap on the top section only. I sometimes only adjust the top section if need be once at height because the bottom is to dangerous for this. Also after enough practice you don't have to adjust it very often. As for the top ratchet strap I secure that before I bring the bottom section into position as I don"t have to bend at all to do this. And don't forget to latch both sections together and wear a safety belt.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 PM

I have the same Gorilla climber- also bought it on clearance. Honestly, I was surprised to see Wally World carry the Gorilla brand. I have to say that I like the stand a lot- it is fairly lightweight, folds up really thin for easy and quiet carrying, and the strap in the front is very securing when you get up in a tree. The one on the bottom is kind of a pain to strap once you're up in a tree, and truthfully I don't use that one every time- only when in smaller trees. I always use the top one. But I have never had a problem with it and don't plan on buying another stand- In my opinion, you got a great stand for an unbelievable price!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a Lone Wolf, and forget about it!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Spike

I have a Summit Goliath it doesn't have any ratchet straps or anything.Yes when I get to height Ilevel itwhen I sit down and the stand bites the tree with the teeth on the frame,it uses my weight to put tensionon the cablesand I haven't had any problems at all. Sometimes I do tend to get excitedafter a kill and have never even felt like I was going to fall.But I alsouse a Fall Guy 20' retractor that I can hook on to my harnessfrom the ground so I am safe even while climbing.As long as you have a harness on attached to a tree,a way to contact someone incase of a fall, and you feel secure in your stand how you like to have it in a treethen I would say enjoy your hunt.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

stap it in every time makes it less likely to pop and squeak from movement IMO and its safer. i have same stand and tried it out a few times and like it. i got it for my wife cause she needs a climbing aid or in this case top part. i hug the tree and go in my old loggy bayou and speaking of light my loggy weighs in at 9.5lbs (since i dont use the clibing aid) i bought a newer loggy and that stupid cable is a death trap slips like crazy i actually got mine stolen adn didnt mind. my old one has the sometimes loud (if i cant stuff the backpack straps into the excess strap)metal band but ive never onece slipped with it. im getting nervous though cause if something wears out completely i can get parts for it anymore and will have to get something else prob a lonewolf.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Hunters View climbing stand and it also has the plastic coated steel cables that go around the tree when you climb up and it has 1 extra strap when you get to where your going to stop and sit down you take each end of the strap where it has S hooks and you pull it tight to put tension between the cables.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

My API has a strap for the top portion only. Your weight will always be on the platform making it less likely to move when you get up, but with no weight on the seat portion it might move on you if it wasn't tightened down. Make sure you attach the top and bottom pieces with a rope in case though, the last thing you need is for that platform to shimmy down the tree with you 20 feet up dangling your feet [:-]