Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How close to dwellings? >

How close to dwellings?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How close to dwellings?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default How close to dwellings?

I have a good morning spot that's probably 200yds (350 yds from another) from a home .....and likely 120-150 yds from their dog lot. I have witnessed deer walk within 30 yds of the dog lot as they came back home from feeding in the morning.

I KNOW these people emit human scent into the air. I'm wondering .....with a terrible wind direction scheduled for the morning (OK, forecast)....should I go in there? How much does that extra human scent help me? Enough to take this chance?

My evening spot is similar.....only 150yds deeper into the woods.

These are the only two spots i hunt that are within 400yds of a home. theyr'e also two of my best spots. In MY SITUATION......would hugging the homes tighter be a GOOD idea, tomorrow? Would the deer simply take my added scent into stride the CLOSER I was to them?

Interested in your thoughts.

EDIT:

I guess it boils down to.....Can I use the homes to my advantage in a less than favorable (understatement) wind?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How close to dwellings?

Hi GMMAT,
My morning spot for the past 2 seasons for bow is within 75 yards of several homes right on a fairly heavily used deer trail. I have not seen the deer react any differently no matter which way the wind is blowing.
I think since they are so close to the homes they expect the scent.

I think that if deer choose to use a trail close to homes then they don't really perceive a huge threat when encountering human odor

Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spray down real good and go for it .If your 20+ ft up they would have to be pretty far out to get you.Plus the thermos rise in the morning. GO GET'EM AND DONT THINK ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE TASK AT HAND. GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM

GMMAT, I am hunting about 300 yards from our house and neighbor's houses Saturday morning in about 40 acres of thick woods bordering cornfields. I think the various smells all over the place of people and houses and farms help as natural cover scent. Or should I say it gets them use to the smells of people. I do play the wind but I mainly make sure I shower with scent killer soaps and spray down with scent killer to be as scent free as possible. I think the key is to make the deer think you were there versus you are there and you're good. I've seen a lot deer this way that never knew I was there. But each situation is unique.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys....I guess I'm really just looking for a way to justify hunting my best spots in a crappy wind. But....I realize my situation is (well....maybe it isn't SOOOOoooo) "unique".

I don't know what I'll do.

Wife just called....we're going to have a drink after work. All you guys hunt safe....and good luck. I'm pulling for you.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Good luck to you as well. I'd try it. If the deer are used to the smells of people and you're close enough to houses, it should help you. Worst case, they think something's up and simply decide not to come into range and therefore not busting you. They'll be back.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

I can toss, not throw, toss a rock and hit my ladder stand behind my house. I have a huge overgrown, swampy thicket area across the road from my backyard that has tracks and trails coming out of it and onto the road. Deer routinely walk by my dog, and even me, standing in the backyard and out onto the road. I don't think the wind direction matters so much within a hundred yards or so of my house because the smells are normal to the deer. But, when I stretch beyond that 100 or so I think they start to get a little leary.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my subdivision the lots are 3 acres, so human scent is everywhere. I just try to hold my scent down to a minimum. And yes I do hunt less than perfect wind directions. Hell the deer don't come from the same direction every time. I can have them come in from any direction on some of my stands. I take all of the necessary scent control methods and hope they think I am farther away than I really am.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I hunt suburban I worry more about the kill falling in someone's back yard on a Sat morning or afternoon while the homeowner is out there doing his yard work and the kids are running around than Ido the wind. The deer will toleratehuman scent till they detect a strong scent then they book like any other deer does.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Follow your descenting procedures and you should be fine.
I worry more about the kill falling in someone's back yard on a Sat morning or afternoon while the homeowner is out there doing his yard work and the kids are running around than Ido the wind.
That is what keeps me away from some spots.

Quick Reply: How close to dwellings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.