Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Legal shooting time??? >

Legal shooting time???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Legal shooting time???

Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Legal shooting time???

I never pay attention to the "legal" shooting times. If I can make a clean and quick kill then I will do so regardless of what the book says.

Personally, I think its rediculous. Anyone go over the speed limit?[&:]

EDIT: Thinking I should just add this to what I said above.
If I can make a clean and quick kill AND see through my peep...
Don't want anyone accusing me of shooting deer at midnight.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:40 AM

I would take the shot. Some may that hypocritical given my post about guys illegally tagging deer for their wife or girlfriend, but I feel its apples to oranges in terms of the law. In almost every case, the law of legal shooting time was intended to make sure you don't take marginal shots during poor light. And if I were to take the shot, I can guarantee you the sufficient light required would be within minutes of legal shooting time.

Conversely, enforcing this law helps the DNR prevent guys from shooting at shapes when they can barely make out outlines moving through the woods.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Also, if you are going to time it down to the minute, be sure to visit the weather channel site or wherever to determine precisely sunup and sundown in your town so you don't miss out on 5-10 minutes of prime hunting.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

if there isenough light to take the shot take the shot. it may be later thanlegal shooting hours if it is overcast. do you still take the shot just because its legal shooting hours. if you can't take a clean shot don't take it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:45 AM

I have to agree that I have never looked at the officail clock or my personal clock to judge weather a shot would be ethical or not... I think you should just know
Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Great point Paddles. This is especially true to those who hunt in the big woods.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Just look at the opening morning of firearm season. I always hear a gun shot when I still can't see my hand in front of my face.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 PM

As a retired state conservation officer, I can report that this is not nit picked too much from an enforcement standpoint. For instance, here in Colorado, the legal hours vary one minute for every 12 miles east or west of Denver. Then there are watches that run a little slow or fast. Main deal is that you can positively identify that the animal is legal, see your sights,and make a safe shot. This could vary a few minutes either way depending on conditions.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Isn't the sunrise thing just an estimation anyways? Aren't all estimations give or take a few on either side? lol
Old 09-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'll come clean.

I don't look at sunrise/sunset predictions. I shoot if I have sufficient light to do so, ethically.

That's what I do.
Me too.
1) I dont ever wear a watch (check my cell)
2) If I did I'm surely not going to set there and keep checking my watch waiting for legal time to roll around....

If I'm confident and comfortable I'm shooting.....

Quick Reply: Legal shooting time???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.