Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Drought and acorns?? >

Drought and acorns??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drought and acorns??

Old 09-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Drought and acorns??

Any body have the low down on how lack of rain affects the mast acorn crops? Its been a very dry summer around here. I did notice some good ones on the ground the other day while trimming lanes in one spot. The bad thing about my area, when we have a killer acorn crop, the dam things are everywhere, hard to hunt them when the deer find them everywhere. just curious, how many on here are able to narrow the deer down to feeding around just certain trees? One more question, do deer feed on bur acorns, the giant hairy ones ?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drought and acorns??

Im not sure about how drought affects the acorn mast, but I have seen plenty of them on the Oaks and its been terribly dry this season. I try to hunt Oak groves and look for trails leading to the grove and place my stand bewteen the closest bedding area and the Oaks or where I think the deer will be coming from.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 AM

I can tell you that its been about the same here and I have seen maybe a total of 6 acorns on the ground this year. I dont know if that is related to the drought or not. But...there ya have it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pegged the ground with fertilizer spikes for fruit and nut trees this year near one of my stands and the oaks there seem to have more acorns than others nearby.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Drought or dry conditions will reduce the acorn crop, but that can be a good thing. As someone else mentioned when all of the trees are dropping it's near impossible to narrow down where the deer will be. On the other hand, if it's not a good year for mast, find the trees that are dropping and you should see a concentrations of deer sign. That's where you need to be.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

its been terribly dry in wi but the trees are LOADED to the max this year, first time in many years we have seen this many acorns.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

There seems to be a normal crop around here and it's been really dry. I would try tohund a funnel if you can. One of my best stands is in a white oak inside a funnel. That way in a season with limited food, they'll come for the acorns, and the other seasons just to pass between beds and other foods.
I'm planting some persimmon trees on my land this year. I've noticed at my work the deer go crazy for those things.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 AM

I understand that Oak trees go in cycles of producing acorns. There will be an abundance one year and the next hardly none.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nefarious11

I understand that Oak trees go in cycles of producing acorns. There will be an abundance one year and the next hardly none.
This certainly seems to be the case here. It has been really DRY this year and the Oak trees have very little acorn on them, yet another disappointment for me.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM

In Minnesota the drought has definitely been affecting acorns. In central MN I cannot find acorns in the woods. In the NW part of the state there are plenty of acorns, central region=drought NW region=wet. This has to be moisture related.

Quick Reply: Drought and acorns??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.