Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 adjusting aim out of treestand >

adjusting aim out of treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

adjusting aim out of treestand

Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default adjusting aim out of treestand

I was sitting around today trying to figure out if you need to aim any differently when hunting out of a tree stand. I was thinking, the distance from you in a treestand to the deer will be greater then that of the horizontal distance. Then, you are elevated and the arrow is traveling down, and for some reason I want to say it will fly high. Lets say you are in a tree stand the you have rangefinders with you. The deer is 20 yards from your position. Do you simply put the 20 yard pin on the deer and let the arrow fly, or do you aim for about an 18 yard shot, or low with the 20 yard pin?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: adjusting aim out of treestand

if you got to adjust for an 18yd shot opposed to a 20 theres somethin wrong with yer bow or your a pro and can measure hairs of an inch

from what ive read, if you bend at the waist and keep you anchor points the same, your going to hit the same. the difference in distance from base of tree to you to deer isnt enough to worry about. i dont feel like doing the math..look up the pythagorean theorm..A^2+B^2=C^2.

i actually believe if you hit it with the laser you should...add or subtract a yard? Rob, you just said it the other day! lol....

the best way to know is get out there in your stand and shoot your target. ive done it. done it this summer at 3D shoots. and shoot from my pool deck and kiddy swing often too that sits in my back yard. funny seeing a 20yo climb up there..i barely fit. gotta half kneel down to make the shot lol...both only about 6 ft high or so..but it helps...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

You won't noitice a difference at 20 yards..............If your a ways up in the tree you will notice it at 40+ yards...........But you would have to be way up there!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Question has been asked every other day.[8D] Take one yard off the ranged distance, BEND AT THE WAIST, keep form, pick a hair and split it.

Here's all the reading your going to need:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2314365&mpage=1

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2312898&mpage=1

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2297325&mpage=1
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

You see, your problem is you're thinking TOO much. If you practice it, you'll know. That said, at the heights most people hunt at just treat it like any shot, but you have to maintain form. To do that you have to bend at the waist. Some people say draw aiming straight out and then bend... whatever. At any rate the biggest problem is form, not the difference in distance. If you use a range finder to pre-range objects such as trees, do it straight out parallel to the ground, not pointing at the bases. The downward angle at the shot will take care of the difference in distance. At most you're looking at a couple yards. Practice grasshopper.... don't think. And make sure you practice the 5 and zero yard shot from above. It doesn't matter if it's 10 feet up and you hunt at 20... you'll learn and succeed.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

You won't noitice a difference at 20 yards..............If your a ways up in the tree you will notice it at 40+ yards...........But you would have to be way up there!!!
What do you consider ways up the tree? And actually the farther the distance out the less you'll notice it. It's the shorter the distance to the tree compared to the higher up the tree you go in thereom.

Ex: if a deer is standing next to the tree, say 6 feet, 2 yards and you were 60 feet up the tree, you'd be 20 yards from the deer...if you ranged that deer with a laser it would say your 20 yards from the deer. At farther distances out from the tree, that distance difference would close, your shooting angle decreases.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I think he was asking if you should take yards off yardsbecause of the angle..........You don't need to take any yards off from any treestand at 20 yards! Is what I ment!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nor would you at 40 yards.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

2 of the things that affect arrow flight from a tree as opposed to the ground are. One is gravity. There will be less of a drag from a tree causing an arrow to fly farther flatter. The second is if you have a tendence to drop your bow arm. If you do you most likely have your pins set to the dropping arm. It won't happen from a tree. Your arrow will fly higher.

Set your pins from an elevated position and you'll be good. My arm does drop and I do shoot high from an elevated stand. I know it. I would aim 2-3 incheslower if I didn't set my pins from an elavated position.

There's no substitute for practising the shots you expect to take.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thers no substitute for proper form and not worrying about needing to climb a tree everytime you want to shoot your bow.[8D]

Rob is dead on.

The further out you go,the less the difference will be.The closer to the tree you get,the LESS it matters.

This is something you must know when hunting hills or mountains,it definately makes a difference.NO one hunts high enough in a tree for it to matter.If they are that high,they need to hit high anyway because of the angle.

I missed a deer because of it when hunting on theGROUND 1 time.I was sitting on the side of a hill that was a good 45 deg angle,the shot was 30 yards ranged uphill but I should have shot it for 20 to kill the deer.

I learned alot about this after that.Plus I use this stuff all the time at work when figuring angles.

Quick Reply: adjusting aim out of treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.