HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The Buck That Finally Gave Me An Opportunity (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206844-buck-finally-gave-me-opportunity.html)

fechmupbud 09-13-2007 01:53 PM

The Buck That Finally Gave Me An Opportunity

I shot my first "big" (meaning spread greater than 15" in our state) buck last saturday night. I wasn't going to post this, but can't help it. I know scoring estimates are a pain, because everyone has differing opinions so I won't ask... but if you offer up your opinion...;). I had two criteria that I wanted to be a part of my first "big" buck. 1) Had to be with my bow, or it just wouldn't be the same. 2) I'd like it to be on State land. (I'm a glutton for punishment, and that makes it a whole lot harder/frustrating.) Both those were achieved here, thanks to my buddies teaching me and taking me along.
I know many of you would pass on him for another year, as he was 2 1/2 and probably would have been a nice deer next year. Unfortunately I don't own or have access to 600 - 1000 acres privately. This dude would be gone by Nov. 10, and in my area, you just don't pass on this unless something bigger is standing next to him.
He just worked off his velvet a day or two before, and had two or threelong dreds hanging down. The taxidermist was relieved to see his first hard-horned deer of the season in. He said that the ticks and chiggers in the velvet are a nightmare to him. He's also going to save the dreds and keep them hanging on the mount. I think it'll tell a story to those in the know. Don'twant to come across as bragging, just proud and wanted toshare... Thanks.

childers 09-13-2007 01:55 PM

RE: The Buck That Finally Gave Me An Opportunity

big deer

childers 09-13-2007 01:56 PM

i shot one last year about that size

SD_Gobbler 09-13-2007 01:58 PM

Great Looking deer!! No way I would have passed on him. Congrats on your first "Big" buck!!

DannyD 09-13-2007 02:00 PM

Great Deer and congrats.
Brag away, be proud. I'd be busting at the seams if I got one like that.

fun2hunt 09-13-2007 02:02 PM

Not sure why all the negative tone. Be proud man, nice deer and on state land. Rejoice, be happy!!! Congrats dude! Enjoy this...

Western MA Hunter 09-13-2007 02:05 PM

Great buck! Congrats.
I would never let him walk. I hunt state land too!

nybowhunter 09-13-2007 02:07 PM

Nice buck! Be proud of that one, most guys here would be.

peakrut 09-13-2007 02:09 PM

Very nice Buck Congrats. Fun, *coughs* tongue *coughs* lol

ORIGINAL: fun2hunt

Not sure why all the negative tone. Be proud man, nice deer and on state land. Rejoice, be happy!!! Congrats dude! Enjoy this...

Rick James 09-13-2007 02:09 PM

Great looking deer man. Congrats to you!!