HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shots At Different Targets? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206728-shots-different-targets.html)

mfhunter27 09-12-2007 07:43 PM

Shots At Different Targets?

Hey Guys!! What could be the deal here? I have a block 4 x 4. When I shoot at the circles, alot of times-but not all, i am an inch to two inches off the mark! When I shoot at the sides with the deer silhouettes, I hit my mark every time and I am grouping very well - even bh's. Could this be a form of target panic or am I just more comfortable shooting at the deer silhouetts, or what else could it be? Any feedback will be appreciated!!

Rich

buckmaster 09-12-2007 07:46 PM

RE: Shots At Different Targets?

i find myself doin that too, i think its completly phsycological. sometime i shoot better at spots other at deer and ill stick a orange spot on my deer sometimes. so for me its all in my head and could be some eye fatigue from tryig to shoot too many times at spots.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-12-2007 07:47 PM

How big are your pins? Many archers hit right (right handed archers, left for left handed) of dot shooting because the pin actually blocks the intended target and archers tend to hold the pin just off the mark to see the mark.

Could this be what your doing. I say that assuming your left/right and not high/low.

In the silhouette side, you bury the pin where you want it.

loogout1 09-12-2007 07:52 PM

My first post, love the sight. I just switched to a 3 pin site after shooting 1 pin for the last 13 years. I too have found myself shooting right(right handed) on 40 yard shots. I'm definitely going to switch out my 30 and 40 yard pins for the micro(.019) pins. The reg. size pins obscure the target too much at farther distances.

mfhunter27 09-12-2007 07:53 PM

I have 0.29 pins and I do find myself hitting to right most of the times I am off the mark. I thought that may be a reason, but I didn't know for sure!!

Thanks to both of you!!!!

Rich

buckmaster 09-12-2007 07:55 PM

Now that i think of it i most always shoot to the right when this happens. Thanks for the info on my part Rob. id like to have some smaller pins like .019 to replace my .029. and welcome loogout1.

mauser06 09-12-2007 08:06 PM

could be pin size, could be your not used to shooting spots. to me, zingin an arrow into a 8" vital doesnt tell me alot. ive always shot spots. SMALL spots. right now i shoot golf tees...shrunk my groups amazingly.

it does take a different shooting style to shoot spots i think. gotta center your pin on your spot and let it sit there...i find keeping both eyes open and focusing on the spot, not the pin really helped me as well. i also shoot with .029s...next year thats changing....019s and .010s next year hopefully...

Dr Andy 09-12-2007 09:32 PM

Sometimes when shooting at a round target you tend to float your pin in circles around the target trying not to obscure it, like Rob said. Try shooting at a target on paper that is a bar, 6" long and 2" wide drawn with a marker.. I've heard some target shooters intentionally sight in so that the pin is next to the bull,with the arrow hitting the bull.

loogout1 09-12-2007 09:50 PM

My block is so shot up that I've started using white tape to make Xs on it where the arrows wont pass through(time for a new one). I've been practicing mostly at 40yds to get my confidence up at long distances and been within an inch or so consistently. But I have definitely noticed that when I am off its almost always right. I'm pretty convinced its because I'm moving thepin off to the right to see the target. The .029 pins create too much of a "halo" effect and obscure too much of the "spot" that I want to hit. I'm still where I need to be but not precisely where I want to be. .019s hopefully will help.

buckmaster 09-12-2007 09:55 PM

yeh i would like to have some .019 for 20-30 maybe 40yrds. and some .010 out to 60yrds